Centralized Video Distribution with Duplicate Devices

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
ccarpenter1

Centralized Video Distribution with Duplicate Devices

Postby ccarpenter1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 am

Gang:

I'm sure that I am making this more complicated than it is, but I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the best way to solve this. I recently have centralized video sources into one place using an 8x8 Video matrix switcher. Now, here is the problem (and this one has a very large WAF assoicated with it ... so I am told!). I have two Scientific Atlanta (SA8300HD) DVRs for my cable TV setup. I have the units in a centralized rack. I also have a IRTrans IR system with a LAN Controller XL and a few bus modules. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to assign different IR codes to the SA8300s. From a user interface perspective, the user could select either COMCAST1 ot COMCAST2 from a Mainlobby screen in any zone to select the cable channel they want to view and switch the video matrix appropriately, but since the same remote would control both SA8300HD units and both units would be in the same rack, both would change channels at the same time (on COMCAST1 and COMCAST2). From researching on the web, it does not look like these units can be setup with different IR codes.

I am really stick on this one, how do I go about solving this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 am

A system like the Russound or Nuvo comes in handy in these types of situations since they will handle distributed IR to the specifc source selected.

But in your case, if you don't have one, perhaps this product by Xantech will work:
http://www.xantech.com/products/ir_prod ... al/RT8.pdf

I didn't see anything with less sources out there but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

You would need a learning capable remote.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 am

I am doing almost the same thing with my two Comcast boxes (Motorola 3416s).

I have them both in the rack and have them hooked up to the USBIR6. Each is on a different output so that ML knows where to send the command.

The IR blinker is taped onto the front of the STB with black electrical tape to assure that they do not have stray IR making its way to the other box.

There also is another solution if you are using the URC brands of remotes but I don't want to take you down that rode if necessary as I use this method also.

HTH,
T.Wells

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 am

Depending on the availability of OTA, clear QAM and analog cable channels, using an HTPC with some PVR application like BeyondTV or SageTV and their clients could be an alternative... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ccarpenter1

You guys are awesome!

Postby ccarpenter1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:33 pm

First, I want to say thanks for such great support! You guys are truly fantastic! I am absolutely amazed at all of the brilliant people on this forum.

This gives me lots of ideas and should keep me busy for a little while.

Thanks Gang!
Chuck

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:57 am

What you need is one of these

http://www.smarthome.com/8127/Xantech-R ... RT8/p.aspx

I don't see that Xantech even makes them anymore, and smarthome only has 2.

It allows you to address a specific IR output by sending a code to the IR router before you send the IR command.

If you end up being interested, I have 2 of these sitting in my attic gathering dust from when I had verizon cable boxes. I'd part with one cheap.

As for programming them, you can find the IR codes for teh programming remote they say is required on remotecentral.

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”