Yacht A/V system based on Cinemar+Russound

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
guyinblack

Yacht A/V system based on Cinemar+Russound

Postby guyinblack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

Friend recently got a yacht, trying to help him design a decent A/V Setup.
It's a 84ft. vessel and it's currently being built (now in wiring phase) so we can still run cables anywhere.

We need to have 6 audio/video zones (option for extension to 8 would be nice)

What would you guys think of a Cinemar-based system for its audio/video needs? I know most of the traditional A/V guys would say standardized Crestron/AMX level systems, but what if we tried something more creative? could turn out to be way cheaper and more customizable while not being tied to a specific manufacturer.

Does anyone have experience with yacht installations based on Cinemar suite?

What I'm looking for is suggestions for A/V equipment that has proven to be rock-solid, not causing many problems when coupled with a PC running the Cinemar suite.

Here's what we are thinking of getting so far.
  • PC with CasaTunes 6-zone PCI-express XLi card / or MAudio Delta1010LT, running Cinemar with MLS Server, MainLobby, DVDLobby, MusicLobby, Russound Plug-in, J-River Media Center
  • Entry level Kaleidescape media center
  • Russound VM1 Video
  • Russound CAV 6.6
  • 6 DirecTV Boxes (RS232-controllable)
  • iPod® Docking Stations (Russound iBridge or Sonance iPort )
  • 3 x touchpanels (recommendations?)

I've just finished going though the architecture diagrams for possible setups, and I found it very helpful, is this version the latest one?

If there are professional integrators here who could work on this project feel free to PM me with contact info

Thanks a lot

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Yacht A/V system based on Cinemar+Russound

Postby MurrayW » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 pm

guyinblack wrote:Friend recently got a yacht, trying to help him design a decent A/V Setup.
It's a 84ft. vessel and it's currently being built (now in wiring phase) so we can still run cables anywhere.

We need to have 6 audio/video zones (option for extension to 8 would be nice)

What would you guys think of a Cinemar-based system for its audio/video needs? I know most of the traditional A/V guys would say standardized Crestron/AMX level systems, but what if we tried something more creative? could turn out to be way cheaper and more customizable while not being tied to a specific manufacturer.

Does anyone have experience with yacht installations based on Cinemar suite?

What I'm looking for is suggestions for A/V equipment that has proven to be rock-solid, not causing many problems when coupled with a PC running the Cinemar suite.

Here's what we are thinking of getting so far.
  • PC with CasaTunes 6-zone PCI-express XLi card / or MAudio Delta1010LT, running Cinemar with MLS Server, MainLobby, DVDLobby, MusicLobby, Russound Plug-in, J-River Media Center
  • Entry level Kaleidescape media center
  • Russound VM1 Video
  • Russound CAV 6.6
  • 6 DirecTV Boxes (RS232-controllable)
  • iPod® Docking Stations (Russound iBridge or Sonance iPort )
  • 3 x touchpanels (recommendations?)

I've just finished going though the architecture diagrams for possible setups, and I found it very helpful, is this version the latest one?

If there are professional integrators here who could work on this project feel free to PM me with contact info

Thanks a lot
DavidL or Mario could answer all of these questions better than I can, but if you are going to go with a software-based system and are willing to put the time in, you might as well save yourself some more money and ditch Kaleidescape and Casatunes. I wouldn't think either one would give you any more (maybe less) than you will get with DVDLobby and MusicLobby. I think that their advantage would be that they are more of an "out-of-the-box" solution but in terms of functionality I believe they will give you less than you will get with the Lobby suite -- at least that is what I have read on this forum about Kaleidescape -- don't know anything about Casatunes.

Tell your friend that he can use the money he saves to fly me down for a weekend on the yacht so I can evaluate if MainLobby is working correctly. :lol:

Good luck!
Murray

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”