Is anyone using the Outlaw 990?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
bogart

Is anyone using the Outlaw 990?

Postby bogart » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:03 am

It's been a while since I've posted - but silence is a well-functioning system :)

However, my old roommate is starting to ask questions, and wants his Rotel separates back, and I can't blame him too much since he moved out 4 months ago. So, I'm looking to replace a 1068 processor and 1075 amp, and was doing some due diligence on my options. The Outlaw 990 processor has been very well reviewed and the price point is fantastic.

However, the RS-232 protocol for this unit does not seem to include direct volume access, one of my favorite points on the Rotel. It's almost enough to get me to go buy a 1068, but I thought I'd see how people here feel about it. They do have 3 commands for high/med/low volume, but it's not the same awesome granularity that you get on the Rotel.

Thoughts?

dormie1360

Postby dormie1360 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Not sure if I follow what you're asking, however the 990 does have separate Master Volume Up and Master Volume Down RS 232 commands. I just use those commands with a "repeat" option for the buttons I'm using. Works fine. Data codes are 0x0f and 0x10.

Regards,
John

bogart

Postby bogart » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did find the vol up and vol down commands, but was disappointed to not be able to issue commands to change volume to a precise level as I can on the Rotel 1068 along with the excellent Rotel plug-in, e.g.

Code: Select all

MLR1068|Volume~65

So, I wasn't sure if people had developed elegant solutions to approximate direct level setting on the 990.

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”