Best way to distribute audio video from NAS

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
couj

Postby couj » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 am

I am considering buying a NAS to store my music, dvds and recorded TV on. What would be the best way of distributing this thoughout the house? I plan on having 3 video zone and 6 to 8 audio zones. Will I need to use mulitple computers to do this? Would it be possible for two video zones to watch the same dvd or recorded tv but not necessarily in sink?

For audio, I was thinking about using a sonos system and then using a touch screen in each room to control the sonos system though the web interface.

Thanks

Justin

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:30 am

I would put two HTPCs as input to a AV Matrix switcher like a Neothings.
Then, you can distribute either HTPCs AV output to any number of watching areas in the house.

For audio, I would not use a Sonos. Not very integration friendly at all.

Use MusicLobby running on touchscreens or handheld UMPC like a TabletKiosk or Samsung Q1. The MusicLobby audio server (which could be running on the MainLobby Server PC) connected to a distributed audio system.

This distributed audio system could be a PC sound card (the MLServer PC above) to a Nuvo, a Russound, an Elan system. Or, for less expensive, sound card output to "dumb" amplifiers (like the Simplifi amp that Cinemar sells). Take the $ savings and put it towards in wall touchscreens in the primary traffic areas of the home (foyer, kitchen, hallway are good examples).

The above is the foundation for a killer system. Well beyond what Sonos can do.

couj

Postby couj » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 am

Thanks Smoothtlk

The idea of distributing sound with a russound sounds like a good way to go.

I'm not sure though whether I'd be better off having two PCs feed an AV switcher for video or have a separate pc (connected to my home network that is in turn connected to a NAS located with the server) located near each tv screen. I'll have to give that one some more thought.

couj

Postby couj » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:41 am

If I was running the musiclobby audio server (by that I assume you means the MLMusicPlayer plugin for MLServer) on my server pc and have this pc feed a russound, can the server output different audio streams so that I can have different music playing in each room? Otherwise, how do I achieve this?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:13 am

no, I don't mean MLMusicPlayer. This plugin is not used in MusicLobby.

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/wiki ... MusicLobby

Should answer all the questions.

J River Media Center is used by MusicLobby as the music database and audio renderer.

The MLMediaCenter plugin works with a Cinemar software component called MusicLobbyServer that installs as a plugin in J River Media Center.

J River can be configured to use a pair of sound card outputs as a Zone. J River supports multiple, multiple channel sound cards for expandability.
MusicLobby supports multiple J River PCs. So, the expandability is significant.

egamez

Postby egamez » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi All

I have been searching for a while to do something like this and these are my thoughts so your feedback and comment will be highly appreciated.

First of all we have the challenge to select the appropiate Cinemar supported A/V Matrix ( either VideoStorm, Audio Authority, etc ) plus the challenge to distribute along the home the video, specially if you want HD ( either by multiple coax cables or just UTP Cat 5 as supported by Audio Authority).

Second it would be the high cost involved in any of these A/V Matrix distribution solution. Between 2 to 3KUS$

Third its related to easy to use (as intuitive as control a TV from a remote) for a common person sitting in front of a TV or laying down in his bed ( as my kids do most of the times) looking for watch a recorded TV program or their favorite movie. It seems not to be effective and easy to surf a nice GUI interfase ( naturally Mainlobby) either from a in-wall touch panel to search and select the movie or even make the whole thing happen from a UMPC using again a Mainlobby interfase. I am not questioning naturally the nice Mainlobby interfase but how complicated things can become in order that a common person get the final result which is get the movie played on his/her TV

So based on that and as long I would like to have the nice Mainlobby interfase but displayed at the TV and controlled by a IR remote, I think that the only feasible solution ( as far as I am aware of) its to have a networked slim/ cost effective HTPC at each zone loaded with Mainlobby Interfase and connected to your TV via DVI or HDMI. Naturally there is the implicit cost to manage and support multiple PCs around the house and even the cost $$$ itself of this slim HTPC The rest would be a piece of cake since it would be another Mainlobby client with for example DVDLobby/TheaterTek working in pair with your Mainlobby/ Media Server where eventually resides your stored media, TV Tuner ( to be used with MLMediaStream) and so for.

I have not tested any of the approach indicated but I am outlined a idea looking forward to hear from your comments, experiences and suggestions

Thanks in advance

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”