What is needed in general for a multi zone multi source sys?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
iceman0304

What is needed in general for a multi zone multi source sys?

Postby iceman0304 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Just thought I'd ask this ?, to find out what I really need to get a multi zone multi source system, working with ML's Software...

If there are links in your site, you can give me some links to.

Will I need multiple computers, to get the multiple zones?(I have 3 touch screens monitors that I plan to use, just not sure how things are supposed to go together yet. ) Will I need a system such as a Russound CAV... (I've been thinking about buying the CAV)

What I have presently:
Software:
MLS 3, ML 3, DVDL 3, MuL,(all or nearly all Cinemar Software) MC12, HomeSeer

Hardware:
5U Computer used for MLS( should MC12 be on the server or each individual computers?)
18" Global cache
Sony 777 DVD
Theta CasaNova Pre/Pro
(2) Tivo
(3) Touch Screen Monitors
External hard drive enclosure w/4 250gig for music
Plenty of extra computers
Security Cams w/ Standalone 16 ch DVR

Sorry if this is to much at once, just trying to figure out were to continue building this system.

Thanks for anything

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:22 pm

First, multizone, multisource what? Audio? Video? Both?

How many zones?

How many sources?

What's the budget?

Whats the performance expectation in each zone?

"Will I need multiple computers, to get the multiple zones?(I have 3 touch screens monitors that I plan to use, just not sure how things are supposed to go together yet. ) Will I need a system such as a Russound CAV... (I've been thinking about buying the CAV) "

No, not necessarily. Each sound card has multiple channels, each pair of channels can be a zone. Each PC can run multiple sound cards if you have more zones than that. And, you can also run multiple PCs as well. (do the math, lots o zones).

I am running a Simplifi 7.1 as my multizone amplfier. Definately a good performance, great bang for the buck solution.
http://www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.simplifi.html

If you want keypads, then a Russound or Nuvo are great too. the MLGrandConcerto plugin is now entering beta so that is the newest supported choice. I don't use keypads, but use MainLobby touchscreens instead. Due to the open floorplan of my home, not many needed (zones or touchscreens).

iceman0304

Postby iceman0304 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:31 am

1) AV

2)plus or minus 6

3) plus or minus 8

4) Russound CAV is in my buget. this system is going to be a gradual build, do to the lack of time.. I don't like to think to much about budget really.

5)good to high end, this will very, I'll be trying different things to see if I like or not. there will be most likely 2 different zones outdoors.

I'll have to do some reading on the Simplifi 7.1

Thanks

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”