Suggestions on Whole House Audio?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
atlreguy

Suggestions on Whole House Audio?

Postby atlreguy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

I am about to order a Whole House Audio System. I am looking at either the Russound CAV6.6 or the Nuvo Grand Concerto. The Nuvo offers more power, but the CAV6.6 does A/V. Does anyone have first had experience with the 6.6? I am concerned about getting good sound especially in my outdoor areas from 20 watts a channel.

Thanks,

Josh

ccap

Postby ccap » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:57 am

I have a 6.6 and for any short runs to the speaker and as long as you dont try to play loud, its fine.

What I did was get a nice powerful external amp. I purchased a Sherbourne 16 channel amp.

If you are going to spend the money on nice speakers and love listening to music, then with any system you need more power.

Remember it's not enought power that ruins speakers not more.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:45 am

Don't forget to take a look at the Simplifi amplifier. 50 watts / channel clean. www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.simplifi.html

when used with a Mainlobby system and touchscreens / PCs / etc, this is a easy to install system that has plenty of ummph.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:09 pm

ccap wrote:Remember it's not enought power that ruins speakers not more.

Oh... I've ruined at least one pair with "more". Thankfully, a firmware update for the preamp now makes it impossible to have "mute" on then raise the volume to FULL; which makes it so that I won't come home and tell the babysitter "oh, it's probably just muted, hit this button" then do it and send very expensive high powered amp energy to very expensive but unable to take THAT HIT speakers. :roll: :lol:

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:23 pm

I installed a CAV 6.6 recently and really like the way it integrates with ML. I'm using various Proficient speakers with it. It is used only for background music and for that it is fine. Any one zone can be turned up loud enough to be heard easily anywhere in the house (1900sqft).

The one outdoor zone doesn't seem to get very loud, but then I have neighbors close by so I don't really want it to get too loud :)
--
Bob

bogart

Postby bogart » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:23 am

gregoryx wrote:
ccap wrote:Remember it's not enought power that ruins speakers not more.

Oh... I've ruined at least one pair with "more". Thankfully, a firmware update for the preamp now makes it impossible to have "mute" on then raise the volume to FULL; which makes it so that I won't come home and tell the babysitter "oh, it's probably just muted, hit this button" then do it and send very expensive high powered amp energy to very expensive but unable to take THAT HIT speakers. :roll: :lol:

Ouch! I hope those weren't those nice Thiels of yours that suffered...

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Indeed. Good news is that Thiel rebuilt the drivers and I soldered it all back together good as new. :roll:

There was also the shock of full-blast amp hitting the speakers after midnight in a quiet house. :lol: The RB-1090 that drives those two is something like 500Wpc into those speakers (they're below 8ohm, so it's higher than the 8ohm 400Wpc the base rating). That amp doesn't pop a fuse until you try to weld with it; the thing weighs 90 pounds; you should see the coil in it! It pushed those drivers WAY beyond what they were ready for when cold. I've had it close to that without distortion while everything is all warmed up... but not like that.

I was a little bummed out at the time, of course. There were actually coil wires sticking out of the front of the mid drivers! :shock:

I should have taken pictures, but I was too bummed out.

I was pleased that it was hundreds to repair them, not thousands. 8)

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”