Slingbox & SlingCatcher for HD wi-fi/ethernet distributi

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
neils

Slingbox & SlingCatcher for HD wi-fi/ethernet distribution

Postby neils » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 pm

I'm sure most of you already know about the Slingbox from SlingMedia, enabling you to hook up to 4 HD devices and stream it over your home network to any PC in the world. Now they announced the opposite device, the SlingCatcher, due out this July, which will take your PC video and stream it to your TV, with component and HDMI connections. Both boxes support true HD 1080p. The only thing that is not clear yet is if the Slingbox can stream to the SlingCatcher, or if the SlingCatcher was designed to work in pairs from PC to TV.

If they can work together, then you will have yet another option to distribute HD signals throughout your house without wires using your existing wireless network. The HD version of the SlingBox cost $249, and the SlingCatcher is suppose to sell for $199, so this solution will cost more than baluns, but if you don't have the Cat5 cables to everyroom, this just might be worth the invesment...

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/products.html

Neil

gstone
Expert
Expert

Postby gstone » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 am

I saw this at CES, and from what I understand the Sling Catcher, "Catches" all the sling boxes on the network, including video from a pc.
In other words, if you have say 2 sling tuners as wel as a Sling A/V, you can use the Sling Catcher to choose which to view from.

I may be off, but that is the picture they painted at CES.
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm pretty excited about this as well - it'd give me an easy way to get video into the bedroom from the "AV unit."

I'll have to get my head around how to manage "who's in control" if say, someone wants to play a DVD from a changer in use.

But I can't add any more "upgrades" to my AV system right now anyway... tax time coming up, heh.

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Finally got SlingCatcher (yes it's real!) this past weekend.

Works quite well with both my Sling SOLO and Slingbox PRO.

Now I can watch stuff from the living room on the bedroom TV without needing a laptop. I can also bypass TiVo MRV transfer if I don't want to wait.

The next step is to (oops!) add a tablet or touchscreen in the bedroom so I can call up movies!

Actually with SlingProjector I might be able to get away with projecting the ML interface over to the Catcher, though I don't think the Catcher can send any feedback back to the PC running the Projector. I'll haven't tried that yet...

Right now I only have 1 SlingCatcher, but I think this could be a viable solution to multi-room distribution, except for the fact that it's a one-to-one correspondence between Slingbox and SlingCatcher.

Brandon
- Brandon

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:48 pm

Is there any advantage to a Sling Catcher over a Sage HD Extender? There is now a full blown 2 way plugin for SageTV that works with the HD Extender.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Not too familiar with SageTV's HD Extender, but at-a-glance, there's a good amount of overlap, but a few differences.

They both send the video/audio to the remote set, along with control over the playback.

SageTV HD Extender lets you play media from the SageTV server.
It might also let you play local media from USB, if it's been enabled (the review I read said it wasn't at the time).

SlingCatcher lets you play media from USB. However, it doesn't (currently) support MKV containers, whereas SageTV server does.

I'm not sure whether the SageTV HD Extender will work over WAN? If it doesn't, then that's another differentiation. SlingCatcher can work over a WAN, albeit at reduced resolution if you don't have sufficient bandwidth - HD requires at least 1.5 Mbps, SD needs 256 kbps.
In the given context on whole-house, this isn't much of an advantage.

And of course the obvious one of SageTV requiring a PC to be the SageTV server. Again, not unlikely that the audience here already has one though!

SageTV HD Extender seems cheaper, so advantage there if you're already using SageTV.

If you're not already using SageTV, then it's debatable whether the cost of the SageTV PC + HD Extender is better/worse than the cost of Slingbox + SlingCatcher. Depends on your PC, I guess.
- Brandon

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”