HDMI Connections from pc to HTPC

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
gstone
Expert
Expert

HDMI Connections from pc to HTPC

Postby gstone » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:56 pm

I am building a new pc that will be connected to a 42 inch 1080p lcd monitor. This monitor accepts component, vga, DVI, and HDML inputs.

I have found out the broadcast flags are downgrading the signal to 420p if anything other than a HDMI connection is used.

So the question is what video card do I use that has a HDMI output that will plug into my tv?

Also I plan on eventually getting a Matrix switcher like the VideoStorm with the digital board. So will I be able to connect the HDMI from the pc to the switcher then go to the tv?
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm not sure if any PC video cards have HDMI yet, but almost all have DVI.

You can convert between HDMI and DVI, though you lose the audio aspect.

The big question here is whether the PC video card is HDCP-compliant. It's going to be a big issue for Vista, so expect to see a wave of solutions soon.

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi,

Most all nvidia 7950GT based vid cards are HDCP enabled. After a quick search here is the cheapest I found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130074 For this card you will need a DVI>HDMI adapter. If you want an HDMI card check out this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121028

I believe all 8800 series cards are also HDCP enabled, but you are talking stupid money now.

1080p is going to require a pretty hefty CPU and GPU. I would think nothing less than a 7600GT and a stout dual core cpu. FWIW you may want to check out the threads on HDDVD and BD playback on XP machines over at AVS. There is plenty of good info on hardware requirements.

A video switcher should be no problem. I use a Radiient HDMI switcher right now. Not cheap, but serially controllable, full set of discrete IR commands, HDCP certified and good up to 1080p.

HTH

Jesse

jeeperboy

Postby jeeperboy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Check this out.

Works like a champ and is HDCP enabled. It also will transport the sound on the same cable.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Jimd

gstone
Expert
Expert

Postby gstone » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 am

Jesse--- What are using for serial control?

Are you using ML Generic Serial?

Did the manual include all the commands for serial control, and could you demonstrate the commands you are using?

Also the two cards you listed above, are they HDCP compliant?
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:57 am

Hi g,

Yes, both of those cards are HDCP compliant. HDCP is not hard to find if you are willing to spend @200+.

I am not using serial. I only mentioned it as I know it is a very desirable feature around these parts. :wink: I use this unit in my family room along with a Home Theater Master MX-700 remote. We found that touchscreen control of av components is just not as user friendly for us as a good ir remote. The manual did not include the serial commands but I am pretty sure the Radiient folks would be happy to provide them. They make a point of touting this feature.

HTH

Jesse

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”