Two serials and IR over one CAT5?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Two serials and IR over one CAT5?

Postby Wysocki » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:43 pm

I need to run cable about 30 feet from my htpc to another room to control a Jandy serial controller, an AB8SS speaker switch, and one IR emitter. Can this be done with just one run of CAT5 cable? I think each serial takes three wires and the emitter takes two (= 8 ). There is a TINY hole that I have room to run the cables through and one CAT5 would make things easier. Would there be any problems with crosstalk (I thought that the twisted pairs prevented that).

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Two serials and IR over one CAT5?

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Wysocki wrote:I need to run cable about 30 feet from my htpc to another room to control a Jandy serial controller, an AB8SS speaker switch, and one IR emitter. Can this be done with just one run of CAT5 cable? I think each serial takes three wires and the emitter takes two (= 8 ). There is a TINY hole that I have room to run the cables through and one CAT5 would make things easier. Would there be any problems with crosstalk (I thought that the twisted pairs prevented that).
I think it should be possible. I have been thinking about something simliar for a while but haven't done anything yet.
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7413&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Let me know how it goes!

Murray

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Sorry, thought I'd searched well enough, but you're in the same boat! :oops:

I'm guessing that the signal strength and sensitivity won't cause interference although I'll probably use one pair for each tx/rx, another for the two grounds, and another for the IR. I'll post back with the results. All I have to do now is research which pins I need for the serials.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Do any of these devices require hardware handshaking? If so, then you probably do not have enough wires.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:30 pm

The technical specs link at http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html shows the speaker switch needs just pin 2,3,5 connected. The Jandy serial adapter manual shows a full 9-pin connection but then goes on to say "The simplest functional connection between an external EIA-232 device and the RS
Serial Adapter requires connection of only DB-9 pins 2, 3 and 5.".

Looks like I am golden!
Thanks for the caution though, Krumpy!

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”