IR Help

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
rileydog
Expert
Expert

IR Help

Postby rileydog » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 pm

I just switched to Directv from Dish - DTV has HD locals in my area.

Well, I switched out my receivers. In 2 rooms, I use an IR eye into a Xantec junction box in another room with a blaster eye stuck to the IR eye of the DTV receiver. It doesn't work. Nothing.

I am using the stock DTV remote - could it be that the power on these stock remotes are so bad I need to amplify it or use a better remote?

I haven't started troubleshooting but was wondering if any other DTV people out there have any experience repeating the IR signal.

I have new H20 DirecTV HD receivers.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 pm

I have 5 DirecTV units.....all located in the basement, feeding various rooms in the house.

Direct home-run coax/component/and audio cabling from units to each room
Cat5 Balun for hi-def
Direct IR from each room to Xantech ZPR68
Only one Dinky link IR per circuit! (cleverly hidden in the center speaker of each room) and run via Cat5 back downstairs

There are known issues placing more than one IR receiver on the same "circuit"!

.....such as you should not put two units on the same wiring in same room or daisy chaining rooms.

Also only 1 emitter per circuit as well.

Xantech makes some excellent IR distribution blocks with good diagrams at their site for design ideas.

The key really is
clean wiring 22 guage or better
1 receiver per circuit
1 emitter per circuit
adequate power supply for entire load.

You might also check the codes on the dtv receiver/remote.....00001 and 00002 are the default but your particular dtv unit may be a sony/hughes/other brand needing custom code.

Plenty of help at their site too.

Other option is one of their radio remotes instead of IR....actually it does both, again depends on the dtv receiver gor compatability
ChrisB

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke with a tech and was told that many of the new satellite receivers need a 56k remodulator for IR signals - this is an "adapter" that plugs into the emitter port of the connecting block - apparently, standard blinkers cannot handle the required frequency(?).

For those who are curious Russound makes one and it is part RSIRREMOD56K - it is $8.24...

We shall see if this works - I don't get it until this weekend - hope it does because I was thinking it was an amplification problem which = much more money.

cborod

Postby cborod » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:29 pm

news to me.....mine work just fine including the h20 r15 DVR20 DVR40...nothing special like B&O....

keep us posted!
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”