Signal Injection

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
scotthpdx

Signal Injection

Postby scotthpdx » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Here is my plan. I want to distribute the video from my DVD player in the theater to my bedroom.

I am going to buy a channel modulator (say channel 5), put it on the output of the DVD player and broadcast on channel 5. I will inject the signal in the theater.

If I trace back up the coax line from the theater, I will upstream to three splitters, one amp and back to the bedroom. Do I have any chance of viewing channel 5 in the bedroom.

I am planning on putting a channel 5 splitter on the cable from the street so that I am not getting anything on that channel brought in from the street.

Are there any issues with this scenario?

Scott
What would you like to automate today....

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:25 pm

Modulating DVD over Coax using SVideo is going to be the worst quality - it will work, but, if you are looking for good, then you might consider something else (component, HDMI). You say theater so I am assuming you have equipment that you might care about this.

That being said, I am modulating 2 video feeds into my whole house coax system. I use a channel plus 2 x 8 amplified video distributor (http://www.channelplus.com/product_deta ... oductId=57)

1 video feed is my computer modulated on channel 67
1 video feed is a dish network receiver on channel 4

I use a channel plus modulator (http://www.channelplus.com/product_deta ... oductId=99)

I don't know of any way to modulate in some rooms and not others using the same coax unless you combine the signal close to the destination in question.

One possibility - in your distribution area, only combine the modulated DVD and the whole house and feed that to the theater.

scotthpdx

Postby scotthpdx » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:19 am

I think you mis-understood about the places I want to view at. I want to view that channels I modulate in all rooms of the home.

I will inject in the theater, kitchen and master bedroom. I assume that I can inject as many channels as I want back to the COAX.

Thanks,

Scott
What would you like to automate today....

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 am

I am planning on putting a channel 5 splitter on the cable from the street so that I am not getting anything on that channel brought in from the street.

Are there any issues with this scenario?

Yes. It really depends on what kind of services you're getting from the outside. If you really want to use a low channel # such as 5 a "splitter" won't do anything, you need a filter to block the incoming channel 5 and the surrounding frequencies from the outside.

If it's a digital cable service you need to ensure you're not blocking the return path. If it's analog cable, I'd suggest you aim higher and get past the highest analog channel, so 5 would not be a good choice unless you insist on using a notch filter.

Distributing internally should not be a prob as long as you're run your coax everywhere. You'll also need an IR control mechanism either via CAT5 or injected in the coax solution.

Good luck.

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”