wiring schematic

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
dougmack

wiring schematic

Postby dougmack » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:43 pm

I am looking to install the MainLobby suite in the near future. I would like to keep it as straight forward as possible. I attach a schematic (very rough!) of what I would envisage the wiring may look like between the various 'boxes.'
1. Each plasma is in a different room.
2. Connections between PC/HD sat/Amp/Plasma are HDMI
3. Speaker cable is cat5
4. IR is on cat5 too.
5. Sat boxes controlled by RS232 as is the amp. (sat RS232 not shown due to space!)
6. PC to NAS is cat5.

Is this a sensible setup? I like the idea of individual PC's as I would be able to limit their functionality for my kids. Do I need Homeseer to connect to C-Bus? I am using the amps as matrix switchers, which also gives me the second zone function to stream audio to other locations. Should I wish to add more plasma screens, then with another PC and amp, I can add them on without too much trouble. I think!

Thanks for any opinions - just keep your replies simple as I am a luddite at heart!

Doug

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 pm

Can you shrink your jpg to 800x600 so it's viewable?
thanx

dougmack

image attached

Postby dougmack » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:09 pm

what about 600 x 849! Close enough?

cheers,
Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Your IR should be on an IR LAN. This can be Cat5 wire, but NOT on the ethernet network. www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.irsolutions.html

the Amps can be installed in each PC for the speakers
www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.ampsolutions.html

You will spend a ton of money on many long distance HDMI cables.

Better solution is:

PC> VGA and Toslink > matrix switcher > Cat5 baluns > monitors and amps to end rooms.

dougmack

so basically correct?

Postby dougmack » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:55 am

Sorry, you are right, the IR would just be run on cat5 cable but not part of the PC LAN network.

I understand that the HDMI cables will cost a bit (or quite a lot!!) but I want to 'future proof' my renovation as much as possible. HDMI has a very high bandwidth for full HD 1080p. The downside is obviously cost!

I would need to use something like the Yamaha 1700/2700 receivers as they sport two HDMI in / one HDMI out. Besides, they have RS232 ports so ML can control them.

But, overall, the general wiring layout is ok?

cheers
Doug

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:48 am

What you are doing here is close to how I have done it.

Question - Where do the Sat Boxes sit? Any reasin not to put them local where the plasma's are? That way you could avoid a long HDMI run?

Frank

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”