HDMI Matrix - rs232-anyone smart enought to figure this out?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Re: HDMI Matrix - rs232-anyone smart enought to figure this

Postby Art Dustman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:24 am

Some TV's will take 5.1 or 7.1 and internally convert to stereo. At least 2 of mine do this. You can also get a receiver with HDMI and let that do the work too.

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 am

Well... The unit failed on me this evening. Everything was working fine and then no video output. I went to the basement and power led's were off but switch was on. I unplugged the 5v transformer and it was hot. I waited for things to cool down and plugged the matrix back in. I get a glowing power light on and off in a steady rhythm. I tried another power supply I had from an IR system and the power stays on constant but no video output. IR switching works via the remotes. I just ordered another unit and will return this as defective. I would say to hold off on purchasing until Art and I both have had them running without issues. I am running clean power thru rack mounted surge protectors and 2 APC rack mounted backups, so I know it's not power issues.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I see what you guys mean with the "wierd things" that happen. Power off/on and the issue goes away.

I am considering returning the device as I am at the point where I am tired of stuff that is not reliable. It it me, or does it seem that the inconsistencies are worse when the unit is power off/on? Almost as if it somehow gets out of sync. Other than that, it also gets into a hung mode when it seems to arbitrate the audio... Mayone one just needs to keep all of them on and audio set to stereo? I would be ok with that is the 7.1 HD audio could be run via TOS connector.

Did you guys get any better results.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am

I don't believe any device is really any better than another for HDMI. The creators of the HDCP standard and implementors can KMA. I understand that the source can't send every possible type of audio and video, but I should be able to override on a display and say, yes I know this disaply won't play 7.1, but accept it anyway - I'll go to plan B.

Power cycling helps, but this happens with every HDMI connection, switcher, etc I have ever used. It is more the nature of HDMI and the temperment of the equipment attached. If any of the devices "shake" on a different protocol, you may have issues. Some TV's take the 7.1 or 5.1 in and downconvert to stereo, some won't handshake if you do this and will only accept stereo. Same applies for 720p vs 1080p - may be issues there. I have better reliability with this unit, than anything else I tried. Some things that help:

Changing HDMI cables (thicker guage is usually better)

The order of devices on the box (try swapping inputs and outputs - all 16 combinations)

Use of equalizers and boosters (at the display)

Test all HDMI cables on a simple source to display setup - bend, twist,etc - I have had bad cables make me insane

Test all Cat-6 runs for baluns with a good network tester (do not connect any baluns while testing!)

If a particular display device is an offender or suspected offender, unplug the HDMI cable and test for a day

If you have the resources, replace the display with an up-to date model

Use an EDID emulator/fixer - this device is supposed to store the data about your device so when the swich happens, the tv doesn't have to re-negotiate with the source about capabilities. I have not tried one of these yet. In the case of a display that doesn't accept 7.1, in teory, you could program the EDID device to "say" it takes 7.1. Then the source sends the video and audio thinking all is ok, but you then run toslink or similar to the receiver for audio.

Alternatively, you may be able to add a $150-250 receiver that accepts 1080p and 7.1, tru-hd and whatnot - let the receiver negotioate instead of the display device

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:44 pm

It's the one week anniversary of my new unit, and so far it's been behaving well. I had an issue on one tv with crackling noise. Turned out to be bad hdmi cable. I had new ones, just never installed them. I leave my unit on all the time. I have 2 pc's and 2 sat boxes that get switched around. One sat box is dedicated to tv's with 3d otherwise I'd get error messages on the 3d tv. I'm am pleased so far. The cost was the main deciding factor. The pc's I have downconverting the audio to stereo. I have a separate setup for theater surround that runs independently of this switch. These will eventually be phased out as the new hdmi over Ethernet standard comes more into play and price drops.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks.

My wife and I discussed this and she pretty much reminded me about the cost and that it really is a throw away device in contrast of the other matrix switchers. So, I will probably keep it and figure out something. Plugin will be in the works soon.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 am

The external IR port, is that for in or out of IR communications? Thoughts?

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”