Weblobby poping up script error warning box

Please post general questions about WebLobby here
bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Weblobby poping up script error warning box

Postby bigDvette » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 am

Ok, here is a new one (I think)

I use the Russound SMS3 mediaserver. I have developed a scene that when I select mp3 it brings up a weblobby browser and navigates to the media server.

When I click on artist and then it gives me a list, if I click on the actual name I get an "Internet Exporer Script Error" box with a message about and unterminated string.

If I run the same URL in IE outside mainlobby I do not get the popus complaining of the script error (or at least I didn't)

I went in to IE options and changed my settings to "Display an error about every script error" to true. Now I also get the error in IE oustide of Mainlobby, however, the message box that pops up is completely different. if I go back in to IE outside of Mainlobby and turn off the "Display an error about every script error" I don't get the popup outside of Mainlobby, but I do still get it when using the browser componenet in mainlobby.

Now the actual link under the text is a javascript.void(0) call. If I click anwhere next to the text on the highlighted bar, it works fine but I can't expect the user to not click the name.

I guess my question is how do you get the weblobby component for IE to use the same internet options and not display script error warning boxes. It is like it is using a different version of IE and ignoring the options I can select using IE itself.

It seems javascript.void(0) is something used a lot to make a link basically do nothing, but I'm guessing it will be like pulling teeth to get Russound to change the code.

Is there something that can be done related to the weblobby component to disable the script error popup for IE like I can do myself in the internet options advanced tab?

Thanks.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:25 am

Doing a quick search now that I realize this is using the microsoft webbrowser control and did some research. From this link

http://www.dev102.blogspot.com/2007/12/ ... rrors.html

the poster wrote

Hi all

I am currently writing an application that uses the WebBrowser control to perform operations on web pages. Unfortunately I stumbled upon a very annoying problem, sometimes an Internet explorer script error window pops up and stops all execution until you click the OK button. I've searched the web for hours and the same answer came up:

it's easy (so easy, yeah...) just do this:

WebBrowser.Silent = true;

the problem is that WebBrowser does not have a property named silent!!!!!! Maybe it did, but no more! if you don't believe me take a a look at the MSDN.

What you should do is use

WebBrowser.ScriptErrorsSuppressed = true;

which does exists...

Hope this helps some frustrated people (like me).

Happy holidays

Amit

randy h

Postby randy h » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 pm

So bigDvette, do you place that command in your Weblobby.ini folder or are you giving this info as a hint to Cinemar to put it in their code? In other words what do we do with this wonderful information you found?

randy

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:33 pm

there is a weblobby.ini file? :-)

Really, I'm a weblobby newbie. However, I interpeted that post as there is a property for the Microsoft Webbrowser ActiveX control called ScriptErrosSuppresse that has to be set to true before the app is compiled or when it is scripted to showup.

I don't know how weblobby works, but I think it is something Cinemar would have to do.

I hope we hear soon. It took me quite a while to find it as I searched for a few hours last night and then had an idea this morning to narrow my search.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Fri May 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Bump

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed May 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Mario or someone, can you comment on this or if there is some other workaround.

I was trying to just let this sit, but I'm not convinced anyone is reading this Weblobby forum since I haven't gotten any comments on this in a week.

Even if it is, we can't look at this right now I just want to know if there is another workaround or if it has been logged as a potential enhancement.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 07, 2008 4:16 pm

bigDvette,

You've got a test file via email.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue May 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Tried the file you sent and it still pops the error.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm

I just tried the one you sent today and it seems to have resolved the popup. Thanks Mario!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 am

That's great. I sent you one more file for testing just to narrow down which commands are actually resolving the issue.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Thu May 15, 2008 2:23 pm

new version works as well. Thanks MArio.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Fri May 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I also have the following options on the advanced internet options tabbed set the following:

display a notification about every script error (unchecked)
Disable Script Debuging IE (checked)
Disable Script Debuggin Other (checked)

Return to “WebLobby Questions & Answers”