over write library

Report any bugs here that you may have found in MainLobby
cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

over write library

Postby cborod » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:36 pm

A request please....

When releasing new client could you please take an extra moment to check whether it will overwrite library files?

It is hard enough keeping track of versions and revisions, but then facing broken scenes and the inevitable WAF.....makes upkeep a bigger challenge than it needs to be.
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm

ChrisB,
yes, that is something that the installer should do.

what I have always done, is to install to cinemar_stock.
I then read the What's New, and then sort by file date and then move the individual updated files from Stock to Cinemar. That way I know what changed, and nothing gets stepped on.

I also have changed my scenes to run in their own MLS directory. So, they are protected by their off the beaten path location. You do need to use SaveAs instead of Save when you do this though.

thanx

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi Chris,

If your libraries are being overwritten with the MainLobby installer, it means your libraries are out of date. This was done intentionally.

To resolve, just go in and download all the latest libraries. This will make the files have a later date than the ones that ship with MainLobby preventing any future over writing. :)
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:33 pm

ooops, sorry, thought you said mls files.

Why would you want to be on old libraries?

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:15 pm

c'mon.....you mean the 11 14 17 and weblobby libraries i downloaded 10/22 are outdated?

This has happened the last two ml3 upgrades.....and there are references elsewhere in the forum that this happens to others.....

of course i don't want old libraries....i just want a smoother upgrade process....
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 pm

since there is no reason to have old libraries, then they should be upgraded along with the MainLobby rest of upgrade. MLS scenes are different. You may have customized them to your needs. But, since you don't touch a MainLobby Library code wise, and since they ARE part of the application code (they aren't "just" graphics, there is software programming in them) then they should be seamlessly updated for you. That is a smooth upgrade process.

The libraries do get updated regularily. The problem you mentioned that has happened in the past is when a newer library got updated by an older one. That was a mistake, and that has been corrected.

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm

but these upgrades are not happening seemlessly.

I have scenes built with graphics from various guigraphix libraries...so when i upgrade ml client to verx39 and it leaves behind my scene with 0017_0111 not found...0014_1234 not found and so on.

Once i reinstall the 0017 and 0014 libraries the scene returns to functional again....

but I shouldn't have to go through this process each time ml client is upgraded...UNLESS the guigraphix need upgraded too and IF that is required....perhaps an advisory would be apppropriate?

I feel like i am not getting my point across....equally frustrating... so i'll go back to muttering to myself.....
ChrisB

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:58 am

mcascio wrote:Hi Chris,

If your libraries are being overwritten with the MainLobby installer, it means your libraries are out of date. This was done intentionally.

To resolve, just go in and download all the latest libraries. This will make the files have a later date than the ones that ship with MainLobby preventing any future over writing. :)

Chris,

Did you read my post I've quoted from above here?

If you redownload and install GuiGraphix 17 and 14, your libraries will NOT be overwritten in future updates. I recall posting this advisory but can't recall where. Most likely posted during the time of the ML3 release.

If the problem still persists after doing this let me know and I will look further - but this should fix the problem. As I mentioned, this was done somewhat intentionally to make sure users where on the latest library.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:08 am

Not sure if this belongs with this thread or not, but after the last two ml3 updates I did I had to reload libraries 14 &17 as when I ran the scenes with graphics from those libraries I got a square saying the library object could not be found.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:24 am

sonypoolplr,
when was the last time you DownLoaded the libraries and installed them?

Not installed from your hard drive from a library that you downloaded a while ago.

I believe if I am reading Mario's instruction correctly, that this resolves the issue as the latest registered user's library is Newer than the default MainLobby 3 client installer (the empty ones) and the MainLobby 3 client installer does not replace files that are newer than the ones it is trying to install (the default empty ones).

You might find that there are fixes in the most current libraries as well (and more graphics) that fix other issues. So, download the libraries today and install them. Of course, back up your old one's first in case logic doesn't prevail. If this works DELETE the old libraries so they don't get confused into the mix in the future.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks, I will download them. I really don't understand why the libraries are gone when going from version 39 to 45, but I will get the latest anyway.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:54 am

Sony, here is what apparantly is happening:

The installer is told "don't overwrite anything that is newer than what is in the install".

Example (not real):

User installs ML3 that has an EMPTY placeholder for Library 0014 dated 12/1/ 2005

Library 0014 is downloaded six months ago from the registered users website. this one is not empty, but functional. Time stamped 1 /1/ 2006.

User installs and life is good. Build scenes with the new buttons.

On 2/1/ 2006, Cinemar updates the EMPTY 0014 to date stamp of 2/1/2006 in the MainLobby installer.

on 3/1/2006, Cinemar updates Library0014 with some cool new graphics and some new coding that has some fixes, and adds some features. User DOES NOT install this update.

Today, Cinemar comes out with a MainLobby 3 update. It still has the 2/1/2006 empty Library0014.

User installs the latest ML3 update. The INstaller sees "hey, his library0014 is "old". I will replace it with the "latest" (but empty) Library 0014. User's scenes break and he reinstalls Library0014 from his hard drive (dated 1/1/2006) and things work again, but user posts on forum that the upgrade is a PITA.

Now, if User downloaded the full Library0014 from the registered user's site after 3/1/2006, then the file date would be newer than the EMPTY 2/1/2006 installer file, then the installer would say "hmmm, Library0014 is newer than what I have, better not mess with it". And the user's install goes smooth.

We are looking at ways to incorporate the MLServer's new installer to make upgrading of libraries as easy as it is now to updgrade plugins so that you know that there is an update and with an easy click, can install it. The installer is now seperate from MLServer to do this, but hasn't been completed yet.

Make sense?

cborod

Postby cborod » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:06 am

Guys...i understand! and it makes perfect sense and it makes for good policy......

obviously......the libraries i downloaded on 10/22 must be out of date....

in that case can you / will you post advisories that a particular mlclient 3 upgrade requires new library downloads

please
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:08 am

That is done today (and for a long time). It is in the release notes and is always posted on the forum.

No matter how it gets communicated, someone misses it.
That is why the new installer displays current plugin, most current plugin, and a download link to a one stop shopping area for all apps that we put together over the last several months to clean up installs and versioning.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:18 am

Guys,

Another reason this happened is because we decided to include some free graphics from each library with the base package. Can't blame us for wanting to give stuff away. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

Return to “MainLobby Public Bug Report”