So Far : No Good

Report any bugs here that you may have found in MainLobby
Gozic

So Far : No Good

Postby Gozic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:54 am

I am hoping that someone can give me a little help. I have Main Lobby, MLServer, & DVDPro, and having more trouble than I expected. My latest issues is that I can no longer add movies to the database.

I put the manual stuff in (ie, collection, changer location, location), then hit ... to use the internet to pull down the cover art, and the rest of the stuff about the disk. Hit add movie, it transfers the addition data into the main form, but when I hit save, it does not show up in the list....

For a brief period I got an index error, but that doesnt show up any more, so I can tell you exactly what it says.

Any ideas???

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:38 am

Only hint in your post is that normally you would first lookup the movie, and then modify the downloaded data for your specifics.
You could post your dvd.mdb and we might be able to tell more from there.

Gozic

Adding movies no longer works

Postby Gozic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 pm

I think I have added the file correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:29 pm

I am adding movies to your database. Don't see a problem. What does it take to replicate the issue? I just Clicked Add, clicked ... to do an Internet lookup, searched for "Jaws", found a bunch, found one with some details, Clicked Add Movie, and it was there.

What version of MLClient / MLServer and DVDLobby.dll?

Gozic

Postby Gozic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Ok, I have more details. It appears the problem has to do with movies I have deleted, and I am trying to put back in to the database. Specifically there are 4 disks that I am trying to add:

The Fellowship of The Ring (Disk 1 & 2), and
The Two Towers (Disk 1 & 2).

I am trying to choose the Platinum Series extened edition (see the two images I have included). You can also see what versions of the sw I am using.

I think there must be some corruption in the dbase some where that is not letting me use the selected instances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Gozic,
Try truncating the name of the movies. Both have really long names that exceed the size of the database field so they are not added.
You should also have a unique ID for each movie. I see for multisets you are using the same ID. Some movies "basic" don't have any ID.

Gozic

Postby Gozic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Great info, can I get some more data:

1) Which of the two names fields are you talking about (movie or sort)?
2) What is the maximum length of all the fields?
3) What is the ID field used for, and how do you generate the number if the database does not supply one?
4) If I am loading a multi-disk movie, how should I enter each disk into the database (ie, how do uniquely Id each disk)?

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 am

I've had this problem before as well.

Somtimes the data sources used by the DVDL Plugin have shody information resulting in two different movies having the same UPC code, which ends up being used at the movies ID (If no UPC is available, I think the plugin uses the first dozen or so characters from the title as the unique ID).

This happened recently when I tried to add the chronicles of naria. No matter how many times I tired to add it, it would not let me add it, but I could add all other sorts of movies.

Finally, I remembered this happening once in the past, so I added "CON" to the end of the UPC code after adding it again but before saving it. This time it took.

I'm not sure if this is by design, or not. My suggestion is to update the plugin to use some logic, some of which it already appears to be using.
1 if upc is present use upc as unique ID
2 if upc is not present, use first "x" characters from title
3 if either 1 or 2 does not yield a unique ID, use 1 or 2 with a-# appended to it (with the # being the next available number)

I do this already when I manually enter box sets. For example, if the box set for band of brothers had the UPC 0123456789, then I would put the first disk as 0123456789-1, the second as 0123456789-2, and so on.

I bet - since you are adding multi-disc sets - something similair is happening in your case.

Gozic

Postby Gozic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:38 am

Thx for the info jrfuda. Does anyone know if the field definitions are published any where? For example it would be nice to know what the maximum field lenghts are, or if a field is defined as numeric or alpha, etc. I would hate to spend the time putting several hundred titles into the dbase, only to find that I did so incorrectly, and I have to spend more time cleaning it up, or redoing it.

Again, thx for your time & knowledge!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:05 am

Gozic, I think the current DVDLobby database is set for 50 charecters. This could be expanded using Access on the dvd.mdb if you are comfy with that. But, then you will have issues displaying such long titles in the Flash side. Best strategy is to keep it to a simple name. That name should also be your file directory name, again to keep things simple. Put all the other info now in the title (Widescreen, etc) in the narrative of the movie or better yet in the movie metadata (like 16:9).

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 am

Gozic, I think they're all 50 except for the overview, which I've never been able to fill-up (which makes me think it's even bigger than 255, but I'm not sure).

Once you enter a couple of DVDs in using the front-end, you should have enough data to serive a pattern that will allow you to manually enter DVDs via access. However, things like studio, soundtrack, actors, genre, etc are nearly impossible to add via the database unless you can think in relational database-ese. You see, most of the DVD info is contained the DVDtable, but all that other stuff is contained in seperate tables and you have to know how it all relates... it's very confusing. So you can ad a lot in access, but for those categorical-type entries, you need to use the plugin.

Another problem, regardless of which method you use, is that the plugin creates new entries for every variation. So, if you put some movie's genre as "sci-fi," some as "scifi," and others as "sci/fi" you'll get three seperate entries in your table. The same goes for variations in studio names, actors names, etc. The problem is that the data sources the plugins use are not consisten, so you may end-up with variations in each of these - and since there are no drop-down to choose from a list when entering a DVD with the plugin, you have to manually type things like names, studios and genres, which can lead to errors. A long standing feature request of mine has been to make the plugin query the database for genres, names, studios, etc and let you pick from a list or add a new one. Th eability to merge entries (like combine sci-fi, ascifi, and sci/fi into the genre "Sci-Fi") would be usefull as well.

Return to “MainLobby Public Bug Report”