DVDLobby and RS232 on CX777ES: Wireless?

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

hfkguard

DVDLobby and RS232 on CX777ES: Wireless?

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Can I use DVDLobby to control my Sony CX777ES wirelessly, i.e. is there any way to wirelessly interface a PC or a control device to the 777ES?

Thanks

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Sure, you can use a GlobalCache TCPIP device:

PC running Global Cache plugin and Sony CX777ES driver and DVDLobby plugin > LAN > wireless router > wireless ethernet > wireless access point> LAN > Global Cache serial port > Sony CX777ES > your display device.

http://www.cinemaronline.com/globalcache.html

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:11 pm

David,

Are the Global cashe wireless? I thought they were only wired LAN not WiFi.

As an alternative you could use something like this wifi serial server Here Or a Lantronix RS232 serial server.

Ron

hfkguard

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:30 pm

Thx for the quick response guys.

I'm very intriguied by the possibilities: I've had my CX777 for nearly two years and I've just now stumbled across some of it's best features: my Direct-View HD Sony TV went kaput Thursday, so I brought home an HP 50" plasma on Friday, and man am I impressed. I began to play around, tweaking various things, and realized that, for the past two years, I've had the 777 in 'Interlace'. I turned on "Progressive" and watched a bit of "Once Upon a Time in the West" and nearly wept it was so beautiful. I began to play around with some other settings, and did some searching on Google, and began to wonder about wirelessly controlling the Changer.

The GlobalCache device is pretty pricey (I just blew $2.3K on the Plasma): the wifi serial server will be easier on my budget. I am failry handy with networking (I have wifi in the house, and I use it in a variety of ways, e.g. to stream music to two different Roku Soundbridges). Can you point me to a guide for such a config? I'm especially curious about just what devices will be needed: I'll be using my laptop (an HP ZD7000-series, WinXP Home) to control the 777, and it has a single built-in wireless device, which connects to the WAN via my wireless router. I presume that I would need some sort of USB-wireless adapter to connect from the laptop to the "Serial to Wireless LAN" device, and then a straight (xover?) serial cable to connect to the 777. Might it really be that simple, or are there potentially significant software difficulties, especially surrounding the USB-wireless adapter?

Oh, I'd need a second wireless router, 802.11b if I stick with the LS100W (the cheapest solution suggested).

And rondepping, is this the Lantronics device you referred to? http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/wibox.html

Thanks again guys.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:42 pm

NO way to get Cat5 there? I've got 100'+ runs for serial that work great.

hfkguard

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:46 pm

gregoryx wrote:NO way to get Cat5 there?

Short of drilling into walls or running cables along basebaord, wood floors, etc no, which is why I asked about wireless :)

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:46 pm

The LS100W connects to the 777es and on your laptop you would load drivers for a virtual com port. You would then tell the cx777es plugin to use the virtual port to control the changer. You will need a null modem cable to connect to the CX777es.

Actually price wise the smaller GlobalCashe is less than the LS100W by $10, but I believe that you would need to run a CAT5 LAN cable from the GlobalCashe to your wireless router. The web page that Smoothtk linked has a diagram of how you would hook up GlobalCashe.

You shouldn't need a second wifi router, unless your current router is overloaded. ( g is backwardly compatible with b )

Yes those are the Lantronix boxes I was referring to.

I do not use these devices at home, but have used similar devices at work.
Last edited by rondepping on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hfkguard

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:56 pm

Hey rondepping thanks a bunch. With my new rig I know I'm going to be watching lots more DVDs, and this will make things much easier.

This new plasma and the switch to 'progressive' reminds me a bit of when I finally got an HD signal to my recently deceased direct-view Sony (it was a very nice 36" set): it was like TV had been reinvented, and consequently I watch a lot more TV these days than I did when all I had was SD.

hfkguard

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:08 pm

OK one more question ( for now :) ):

Based on this: http://www.cinemaronline.com/mlserver.cx777es.html it looks like I'll need to purchase the following if controlling from a PC:

MainLobby 3
DVDLobby Pro 3
MLServer 3

which can be purchased as a $220 bundle here: http://www.cinemaronline.com/dvdlobbypro.html

Am I correct?

Thanks for tolerating my noobness

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:15 pm

I've yet to make the jump to HD, plasma or otherwise. I'm hoping to go to a projector at some point, but the LCD and Plasmas are starting to draw me in each time I go into BestBuy. The prices are dropping and the picture clarity is getting better.

Good Luck with whatever solution you decide to go with. Just remember that with wireless you may have some drop problems, which is why a wired solution is usually preferred. As Gregoryx mentioned CAT5 runs of 100+ feet work fine for serial.

Again good luck with your project.

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:21 pm

Yes, You would need the Mainlobby server 3 , Mainlobby 3 and DVDlobby 3. Also you would need the MLCX777ES plugin. ( it a no cost plugin ).

Its been awhile since I bought them so not sure on the pricing, that would be Smoothtk's relm. :) :)

hfkguard

Postby hfkguard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:24 pm

I've yet to make the jump to HD, plasma or otherwise. I'm hoping to go to a projector at some point, but the LCD and Plasmas are starting to draw me in each time I go into BestBuy. The prices are dropping and the picture clarity is getting better.

My HP plasma, which at $2200 for a 50" is definitely low end, has a breathtaking picture. I'm sure that it's helped along by the quality of the 777ES, but the bottom line is that even this low-end plasma has incredible image quality: I sampled a variety of movies today, from Hellboy to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, to, as I mentioned, Once Upon a Time in the West: each looked amazingly good, and watching them on the 50" plasma bacame something quite different than watching them on the 4/3 direct-view. It's picture was certainly excellent (it was a high-end Sony 2 years ago), but the size of a widescreen movie on the 4/3 CRT limited the impact of the CRT's visual quality. By "different" I mean that I actually got something like a cinematic experiencewatching the plasma, a fundamentally different sort of DVD-watching experience than I'm used to. I really just wanted to keep watching more and more, and while out of the house earlier this evening I was thinking about all of the movies that I'd like to watch again with this new hardware. That reminds me, time to see how Bladerunner looks... Thanks again everyone.

BTW, for the Bladerunner fans out there, have you heard about the new edition that is supposed to be issued sometime next year? DVD and HD-DVD (or was it DVD and Blu-Ray?). Supposed to be a complete re-mastering.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:02 am

hfkguard,
Yes, that would be the correct package for playing DVDs via a Sony 777Es.

To add movie trailers / previews to your movie night experience, after you get DVDLobby3 going, investigate the Theatertek software DVD player (for hard drive based movies) and very soon the brand new TheaterTek 3rd generation plugin for 2 way MainLobby control over the player.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:42 am

hfkguard,
the cheapest way to go if you are going to use IR to control the 777 look at the USB-UIRT unit.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:58 am

TCassio is correct, but REALLY try to use the advantage of RS232 in the 777ES changer. Makes it another notch nicer setup for speed and reliability in every day use.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”