Building a Frame for An In Wall Touchscreen

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Building a Frame for An In Wall Touchscreen

Postby mcascio » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:54 am

I frequently get asked how I built an easily removable frame around a 15" Planar touchscreen that was mounted in the wall.

I've prepared some photos to help illustrate. The frame was made out of left over window trim.

Photo#1: Show Planar 15" Touchscreen removed from it's pedestal and mounted in the wall. The Drywall was cut around the frame.

Photo#2: Using some small scrap wood...I cut the piece of wood at a 45 degree angle. One side is mounted on the wall flush with the drywall. The other is mounted on the frame itself on each side as shown in Photo#4.

Photo#3: Shows the backside of the touchscreen frame with the cut wood mounted using wood glue.

Photo#4: Shows a side view.

The frame is then fits perfectly in place and is flush mounted to the wall. You need to level the pieces on the wall and play with them before gluing to make sure the frame ends up sitting level.

Last edited by mcascio on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Thank you from someone who "knows where he is going", but would be challenged to answer the "how to get there."

Nicely presented!
ChrisB

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:54 pm

Simple. Genius.

As usual, the real genius is in the simplicity.

=D>

beerguy

Postby beerguy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Hi Mario -
I'm about two weeks away from sheetrocking on a remodel and came across your pictures. They are exactly what I need. Can you tell me a little about how you ran power to the monitor and where you did all of your connections (inside the wall I assume). Pics would be wonderful if you had any.

I'm going to be using 2-Cat 5e's for serial and vga as well. Having the correct power available with a means of connection is by biggest concern.

Thanks,

Pat

sincebaugh

monitor question

Postby sincebaugh » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Mario,

Did your Planar monitor come without the plastic casing around it - i.e. was it designed for in-wall application? I have a Planar and was considering building it into the wall, but was hesitant to mess with the plastic casing around it (I was thinking of routing the back of the frame instead). Thanks, looks great.

Pat
patrick

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:53 pm

beerguy, Mario is fortunate that behind that touchscreen is a pantry. He used to have a PC in there on a shelf driving that touchscreen. Now he uses a VGA to Cat5 balun set and moved the PC into the basement. I assume he plugs in the monitor's power supply into the pantry's electrical outlet.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:34 am

beerguy,

Smoothtlk is correct. I originally had a double gang box on other side of the touchscreen...you'll want to have a touch screen in hand before hand so you can figure all the placement out. If I remeber right the cables from that touchscreen are at the bottom. So the double gang/cutout was below the touchscreen on the opposite wall.

Initally had a computer sitting behind the wall in the pantry. I did this intentionally because I thought it might come in hand down the road for ripping CD's or plugging data cards from cameras into. But we've since added a laptop computer in the kitchen 5 feet away so it wasn't necessary to keep the computer in the "unvented" pantry.

A DB9 connector was made to connect cat5 to serial. A VGA balun from Muxlabs was used to send the VGA signal. A power outlet is sitting directly behind the wall so I plugged it in there. I could run that down to the basement as well when time permits. Just use a 16/4 cable and you can splice into the wire after the ac power cord and ac adapter.

The Planar did come in a tabletop plastic casing. It was very easy to remove. About 16 screws and it was apart. I believe someone documented this procedure on the Cinemar or Homeseer forum so you may do some searches.

Hopefully this helps out.

One thing I would note about my removable frame is that it really didn't have to be removable. When the power goes out, the monitor does come back on without needing to hit the power button. So once you power it on, the controls shouldn't need to be touched. It's nice to have the option though. I did try to come up with all sorts of velcro methods and screwing into the wall, but I ended up choosing the above method and couldn't be happier.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Mario,

I wish I had seen this post before I installed my Planar monitors :) My pictures look the same. I guess great minds think a like ! This was exactly the same way I installed mine.

Chris

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:28 am

Mario...

Old thread, I know, but I'm about to install an ELO 15" in my kitchen wall doing much the same set-up as yours.

First off, thanks for the nifty frame mounting idea.

Secondly, a question on making a serial cable out of Cat5 -- which pin do you drop? #9, the ring indicator? Or is there some tricky way of making a 9 wire connector out of an 8 wire cable.

Thanks!

Chip

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:48 am

Chip,
without me digging up the research, serial doesn't use all 9 pins on a DB-9 plug. I think it uses like 4. Search on google and you should find the correct pin out.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:11 am

Smoothtlk...

Ah, thanks. I'll go do some homework on it.

C.

djsl

Postby djsl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Chris

All you have to do is connect any wire to any pin on the first DB9-rj45 adapter, close it up then connect a cat5 wire to both adapters. Using a continuity light match each pin to the second adapter. What ever goes in on one end must be on the same pins on the other end.

Here is my installation. To attached the frame to the wall I used a pair of taper connectors. I installed the female end to the frame flush and the male end to the wall.

To attach the frame you put the frame in position and you slide it down. As it slides down it gets tighter. To remove it, is very easy you just have to tap it up and slide it up.

I relocated the controls (on/off brightness) to the monitor to the basement using a pair of DB9-rj45 adapters. When I get some free time I will wire it up to a x10 universal module so I can control the brightness using the touchscreen.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djsl

Postby djsl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Here is the mounting.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Jim...

Ah, see I was going to do it the hard way and make my own serial cable from scratch. Using a DB9->RJ45 connector makes much more sense.

Thanks for the pics and tips.

Chip

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 pm

chiphayes, you might still need the pinout because most of those adapters come "unwired" and you have to know what pins to push into what holes. So, you will need the pinout to determine this.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”