iTunes Solution

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

rileydog
Expert
Expert

iTunes Solution

Postby rileydog » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:06 pm

Thought other iTunes users would want to know of a great solution to integrate iTunes into ML.

There is a product called webRemote, www.deadendsw.com

This product turns iTunes into a music server via http. It is only $10 too.

So, using weblobby, simply create a scene to point to the webpage.

Works fantastic - full control of playlists, volume, etc.

You can also customize the html with skins to do really fancy things. I used the built-in skin...

edesilva

Postby edesilva » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:21 am

Seems to only work on Mac platforms, so if you are running iT off a PC platform, it isn't a workable solution. Damn.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Update

Postby rileydog » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:40 am

Thought the community might like to see my 3 day session...

I have a setup to serve iTunes through ML.

Hardware:
Mac server (using a cheap Mac Mini headless, cost $499)
Airport Express - this is a wireless point but also has audio out which plugs into my Russound - my iTunes on my Mac server is always set to play to that wireless point which, in turn, plays on the Russound. ($99)

Software:
WebRemote - www.deadendsw.com -- a $10 web server for iTunes. WebRemote serves your iTunes so a standard web browser can see/control your library - since it uses iTunes, all songs purchased on iTunes will play. No limitations.

OnDeck - http://holocore.com/?OnDeck - freeware (donation based). OnDeck is a handy program that does a simple task - it puts the current playing song information in a file and the artwork in a jpg file. So, I have this album art go to a shared directory and I setup a JPG loader variable to update every second that file. Still working on the text file thing - I would like these to populate ML variables but I haven't figures that out yet.

iTunes (free)

WebLobby, ML, Graphics library 17 (optional, highly recommended), CAV plugin (optional, unless you own a CAV then I say required).

Tricks: (Thanks Smoothtlk!) -- The buttons to control iTunes are really web requests - due to a limitation in ML, you cannot have ? in your web requests - so, I used www.tinyurl.com to create shortcuts to these commands that are ml friendly. 192.168.1.3:2100/?Action=next is an example command to tell WebRemote to tell iTunes to play the next song - tinyurl makes this www.tinyurl.com/abcdef which is what I put in the button.

I modified the html source templates that are included in WebRemote to better adapt to a touch screen - the default templates are small and do not lend well to using fingers to havigate songs. The web pages automatically refresh when the song changes so the now playing is always acurate - neat trick in that the refresh time is automatically calculated based on the length of the current song.

I enclosed a few screen shots to illustrate this setup.

Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:02 pm

Nice work around rileydog.

It's great to see users pull out all the stops to create exactly what they need using the tools available.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:18 pm

Looks great! That is really impressive. Now I am really bummed that you can't run WebRemote on PC. If you could, I would be begging for you to share your work. :D

Davis

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Here is the stuff

Postby rileydog » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 am

Enclosed are the HTML files for WebRemote - I modified their skins to better handle touch screens.

I also enclosed my scenes - note that you will have to have Graphics Library 17 to see these in your ML. With this is my weblobby setup file to "perfectly" place the web inside the scene. It also uses the CAV plugin. I use 800 x 600 scenes - I have ViewSonic 10" touchscreens.

Further, I put in a bunch more screen shots - I am particularly proud of the CAV keypad in the admin section - a CAV keypad can be green, amber, or off and the plugin lets you change these - ML doesn't support 3 state buttons so I made 2 keypad buttons - using z-order, I put the one on top of the other - its on state is visible (to represent no CAV color if selected), off state is transparent - when the CAV is another color (amber/green), the other button takes over. Cool!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Crazy

Postby rileydog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:13 pm

Couldn't resist - got lyrics and "details" working too - I have an applescript that grabs the lyrics URL and amazon URL wvery time the song changes - very fast, it changes all within a few seconds - here are the results. Pretty cool! Working on an HTTP post right now to Homeseer to get all the variables populated into ML.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Just another quick update on the project.

I now am able to have variables populated in ML for the current iTunes status.

itunes_album
itunes_artist
itunes_composer
itunes_genre
itunes_grouping
itunes_length
itunes_playcount
itunes_playlist
itunes_rating
itunes_title

There are many more variables I could create, but I figure these are the basics. The updating is very very fast - the variables are populated via a trigger to homeseer so there isn't needless checking every X seconds if there is a song change.

I found a very handy application called acgi dispacher (www.sentman.com/acgi/) -- this allows a macintosh computer (running standard OS X) to execute applescripts as a web cgi (applescript cgi, or acgi).

I wrote some applescripts to perform the needed iTunes events - there are a lot in the public domain already -- see www.dougscripts.com -- So, my weblobby front-end bacically calls an apple cgi which returns a web page that contains a resfresh to the needed web page on webremote.

I think I can have this solution down to 1 application (It will require Homeseer and the ML Plugin to homeseer too...) - maybe if there is interest, I could spend the time needed to make all this easy... I don't think there is a way to have this solution on Windows - it would have to be a Mac only thing. With the Windows API from Apple, someone with better VB knowledge could do all this on windows but as of now, that is beyond me...

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”