Alternative to an expensive audio/video distribution system

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

Axe

Alternative to an expensive audio/video distribution system

Postby Axe » Sun May 30, 2004 2:24 pm

I already had a 4-channel video disribution system (a video multiplexer)
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=chasvm24
which I using it to distribute my directv tivo, another directv unit and a dvd player unit around my house via the existing coax cable.
I have powermid IR repeaters in front of each tv set and a IR receiver
in front of my equipment in the basement. As of last week, I am now
distributing the video and audio from a pc in the basement which is running Media Center and Main Lobby. I leave that pc on the valet screen of music lobby and I can pickup that feed from any tv or cable ready vcr in my house. You can also use a real cheap vcr without a tv to decode the signal and pass it to a stereo system. I now am running main lobby on a laptop on the first floor which I can use to change the music playing as well as control my x10 devices. This was my solution without running cable all over my house since I already had a coax connection in every room.

In order to save money I am also considering some wireless mice around
my house to conrol Main Lobby display on the tvs throughout my house.
I have to find out if I can use mutiple mice with one receiver.

I will probably switch to PocketLobby when it's out.
Rob

19rookie83

Postby 19rookie83 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:09 am

I believe that with USB Mice you can use multiple recievers and the "active" wireless mouse, ie the one that you are using at that moment will steal the control of the mouse. There is a .5 second lag while it switches mice though, I put a new wireless mouse on my workstation while the old one was still attached, this is how I found this out.

scotthpdx

Postby scotthpdx » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 pm

I have a question about injecting a TV channel into my cable TV Coax.

On the line in from the street. Do I need to put a filter in for the channel I am about to inject. Say I am going to use the Channel Plus modulator to inject on channel 65. Do I put a channel 65 filter on my inbound cable?

I assume that I can inject the signal into my COAX wiring at any point in the system. Is that correct? Is Comcast Cable going to come knocking at my door if I inject a signal in my home? Will Barb next door get interference from my injected signal? Don't wanna make Barb mad ya know.

Scott
What would you like to automate today....

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:08 pm

You block the channels from just below (I think at least two channels) and above. Then you can inject above that line. No Barb won't notice.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”