Auto switch for a juke box

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

rkerdza

Auto switch for a juke box

Postby rkerdza » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Here's a good one for everyone to think about...

This is in a bar setting.

My goal is to have background music playing and if someone puts money into the jukebox and selects a tune to automatically switch from the currently playing source to the jukebox channel on my VIdeoStorm Matrix. I have a working knowledge of electronics and it seems the best way to set this up would be to use some kind of voltage sensor that plugs into a relay (I also have a GC-100, so I could use that relay). As soon as the sensor picks up voltage from the line (i.e. music is playing), it could trigger the relay and trigger an event in ML. Any idea if that would work and how something like that might be set up in ML?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: Auto switch for a juke box

Postby mcascio » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

Global Cache has a video sensor, but not sure if it would also work for audio:
http://www.globalcache.com/products/other/
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm

If the sensor opened up at under 2V, it probably would work, but I couldn't open the spec sheet on the GC Website, so I can't find what the nominal voltage is. Their other voltage sensor only opens up above 2VAC, so it wouldn't work for that application.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 am

How about having the coin drop momentary close a set of contacts that is connected to a GC sensor input. The GC will trigger the sensor and fire the MLServer command.

KW1816

Postby KW1816 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:30 pm

What make/model is the Jukebox ? Many Jukeboxes have a (sometimes optional) interface relay for exactly that reason(or at least they did in the UK 20 years ago when I worked on them :D )

Kevin W.

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 pm

It's a Rowe Internet jukebox. The only problem I could see with running off the coin slot is knowing how long to keep that relay open. If they put in $5 and play a few songs, you risk the relay closing before the songs have played.

I'll check the juke to see if there is a relay built-in.

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm

There doesn't seem to be a relay built into the Rowe jukebox. I'm working with my vendor to see if he can get me a manual for the juke. We'll see how it goes.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Just thinking out loud, but what if you looped the audio outs on the jukebox to an input on your MLServer sound card. Then Dave would have to get involved to write custom plugin to monitor the audio levels...if after x amount of time of zero levels, then you could send an MLServeCmd.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:47 am

That's definitely an idea. I don't know if I necessarily want to spend even more money on a custom plug in, but it would depend on the price point.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 am

It's quite possible that this sensor will work with the GC100. If it did your problems would be solved for relatively short money.

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:35 pm

I had to take a break from this project for a while, but I finally got the SMAUD01 sensor from Xantech. I plugged it into the juke box and was able to get the indicator light to go off and on with the music from the juke box. However, the sensor LED on the GC-100 never seems to go off. It thinks that there is a signal coming into it constantly. The only way the GC-100 sensor indicator LED turns off is the brief second when I'm plugging/unplugging the sensor into the GC-100. I can see MLServer fire the commands I defined in the GC-100 plugin every time I unplug/plug the sensor in. I even tried completely isolating the sensor from the audio system thinking that maybe it senses the noise floor on the audio line, but the LED on the GC-100 still stays on.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Maybe this is a question for GC, but will they help me troubleshoot a sensor made by Xantech?

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:25 am

I think I figured out the problem. I think you need to use one of Xantech's CBCSM1 connecting blocks in order to have the voltage at the level the GC-100 can recognize. I'm going to try ordering one and see if that does the trick.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”