Solid state (SSD) optimizations

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Solid state (SSD) optimizations

Postby bhiga » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Not sure if anyone's running solid-state drives on their ML machines, but now that it's getting cheaper, I'm considering it.

My Eee PC 901 already uses SSD.

If you do go this route, here are some tips. They're mostly based on reducing the number of writes on the SSD, as SSD has a limited number of write cycles:

1. Disable pagefile, or put the pagefile on a non-SSD device.

2. Disable Last Accessed time on NTFS volumes, unless you have a specific reason to keep them on. This will prevent every read from also triggering a write. You can use the built-in fsutil utility to disable it:

Code: Select all

fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

3. Don't defragment unless your defrag util can consolidate free space, and even then, don't defragment too often. The next version of Diskeeper (2009 version) is supposed support SSD-specific defragmentation.

4. If you have the cash (and the option), get an SLC SSD versus an MLC. MLC is significantly cheaper, but SLC has better performance and potentially better write-life too.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 pm

bhiga

Are you running MainLobby on your Asus Eee PC?

If so, how's the performance?
- Funboy

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:02 pm

No sorry, I'm not running MainLobby on my Eee PC yet.
- Brandon

My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”