best practices for directory structure?

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

michael(fl)

best practices for directory structure?

Postby michael(fl) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:55 pm

is there a guide or should i leave everything as installed?
tia,
michael

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:06 pm

If you are talking about what directory structure should you install MainLobby components, you should keep everything the way they install and accept all defaults.

MainLobby3 Client:

c:\program files\Cinemar

Do not change or modify the Cinemar\Content\0019 directories. Keep these for Cinemar installers only. You can copy that directory to your own custom directory under the c:\program files\cinemar\content\MyHouse structure and change the default content folder to MyHouse. Also declare an existing mls file in the directory as your new startup scene and save this setting. Make all your customizations in the "MyHouse" directory (only an example name).

MainLobby3 Server:

c:\program files\MLServer

Not recommended to change any directories here.

Now, that's not to say you can't change things, but you are then taking things into your hands that you know what "ramifications".
Does that answer the question?

michael(fl)

Postby michael(fl) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:33 pm

yes, that helps. i thought that was the case, but i wanted to make sure. i am struggling with MC and musiclobby and there are a couple of posts/wiki notes that indicate that files need to be properly located. i was wondering if i needed to manually move them or if they were installed correctly.
thanks!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 pm

What are you struggling with?

ccarpenter1

Cinemar Folder Structure recommendations from the Veterans

Postby ccarpenter1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Ok, I think I have a handle on how MainLobby works and I have a programming background but I am looking for a best practices recommendations from the veterans. I see your recommendation for my own folder structure under the \program files\Cinemar\content\ folder. I have many of your plugins, MusicLobby, DVDLobby, HomeSeer, MLSpeak, CAV66, etc. I also have the 014 library but it looks like it is located off of the \program files\cinemar folder rather than something like \program files\cinemar\content\0019. I also 8 different touch screens that I interface to. I am ok with any ramfications and willing to learn. I just wanted to know how the veterans strucuture their folders. Do you have any in-developement folders, baseline folders, separate foilders for your .swf files, etc.

When creating a site for a new customer, do you guys copy the 0019 folder to start as a baseline and put the new customer under the contents folder as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chuck

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 pm

All library files that are in use have to be in the cinemar\library directory. If you aren't using graphics from that library, then don't put it there because all libraries in that directory get loaded on mainlobby load, taking up resources.

The Content folder can be used as you see fit.

Content\Prod\Smith\Apps\Musiclobby.swf
and
Content\Dev\Smith\Apps\Musiclobby.swf

is one strategy

DVDLobby375 is in a Movies subdirectory that can be copied to a new content folder and just linked to.

I would put all images and swfs relative to that job in the Smith\swf and Smith\images directory. That way they are all relative to the content folder and can live in any number of folders. There will be file duplication with this, but if you are developing for customers, then it's a simple copy/paste into the customers final content folder when building a new system.

the .ini files go in the same subdirectory as it's swf "mate" like musiclobby.ini and musiclobby.swf

The files in the cinemar root stay there.

ccarpenter1

Perfect!!!!!!!

Postby ccarpenter1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks Dave!

That is EXTACLY what I was looking for.

Chuck

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 am

Plan for the apps and images and games and MLBTV folders as well.

Smooth - Has Cinemar finished it's adjustments to the directory schema?

I too have been grappling with this, especially since the many upgrades of the past several months have changed the layout.....

To get a baseline I recently did a clean install on a client with all my libraries.

Then I adjusted the directory structure to add my \content\cb or \content\cb_waterwave structure so i could keep my production library intact while developing my new look. From there I can compare to see if there is a scene I missed, an image that has changed, etc.

Those folders have their own image, swf, popup, etc. sub folders.

From there select your favorite tool to synchronize machines.
ChrisB

cairndhu1998

Re: best practices for directory structure?

Postby cairndhu1998 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am

I disagree with DavidL. See the "Cinemar Software Installation (for Newbies)" Topic for more info. All my Cinemar software was installed into a separate partition (E:\) and everything works well. Cheers!
James ("Jim") Wm White
3158 W Starr Pass Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85745
cairndhu1998@cox.net
520-907-4599

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”