PTZ control with Joystick through a PC

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

WGTactical

PTZ control with Joystick through a PC

Postby WGTactical » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 pm

New to the site, and was looking for info about PTZ control via PC. I am looking for software that will allow a PTZ camera to follow either mouse movement or joystick movement without the need to click on GUI images on the screen.Basically have the camera track the mouse or joystick. The camera is already connected to the PC with a 232 to 485 converter, on Pelco P protocol. But the software with the DVR card only allows camera operation through one of the screens within the program. Anyway, does this program already exist ? Thanks in advance for your help.

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 am

Must be really complicated :shock: :P

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:40 am

Not quite understanding what you are trying to do.

You want to click on the screen with your mouse and have the camera pan / tilt to that location?

A touchscreen is no different than a mouse so if the software supports a touchscreen, it will also support a mouse.

do you already have a joystick? How is it connected to the PC? RS232? or is it appearing as a HMI device (usb?) or is it a Mouse to the OS?

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am

I would like to have the PTZ follow the movement of the USB mouse or joystick without having to use the GUI with the software. So far, all the software I have found supports this movement "point & click" with the GUI, but none allows for camera tracking an external device (mouse or joystick) Any hardware/software combination can be considered, as long as it is PC based.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 am

so, when you move the mouse / stick - what do you see on the screen?

sounds like you want the mouse to talk to software that sends commands to the camera motors.

And you want to view something maybe unrelated on the screen.

So, how will you know what that camera is looking at? Or, are you viewing the video from the camera in the screen, and just want to move the mouse and view the changing landscape of what the camera is viewing?

Maybe describe a real world usage and not think about the technology yet.

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 am

I do want the mouse to talk to the software that sends commands to the camera. Also, I dont mind if the video is fed back to the computer screen or not. Video can be a on a seperate display. Presently, I can move the cursor across the GUI and make the camera move and zoom.
Basically, I would like the ability to have the PC control camera function via a USB type mouse or joystick. But the video can be captured on a seperate device if necessary.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I thought I recently saw someone posting on this forum using MLGenericSerial plugin to send Hex commands to a PTZ camera.

You would then need to know where the mouse is pixel X pixel.

there isn't any Cinemar software that exposes that today.

So, someone else will have to chime in.

Not a MainLobby out of the box solution, but likely will require custom software.

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you for your time.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm assuming you're watching the camera on a ML client somewhere else and want to have a control next to that client to control the camera...

How about this?

Run the mouse control software on another machine - or in a remote desktop session if the software lets you.

Maximize the control software's window and/or reduce the screen resolution so the cursor doesn't move off the window.

Now this should work from that machine's mouse... but we want to move the mouse, joystick, trackball, etc farther away.

So either we use a wireless mouse (RF or Bluetooth) if that's within range, or we use a USB extender or sharing device.

Active USB extension cable is the easiest, but you'd need to wire it back to the remote PC.

USB sharing devices cost more, but they might make sense if you need to plug something into the remote machine (like a USB stick for transferring snapshots or something).

Not sure which ones support HID like mouse/joystick, but the Belkin USB Network hub or Silex USB Device Server (they also have serial device servers) may.

I have a Silex SX2000U2 - I'll try connecting a mouse to it tonight.

Essentially the theory here is that you're doing what you do with the point-and-click control software and mouse, but you're moving the mouse from a remote location and you aren't looking at the control software - you're looking at a separate screen entirely.

Am I getting what you're trying to do here, or am I totally off-base?
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 pm

On this application, I would like to be able to power up the PC and open a single program and be able to initiate camera movement from a USB joystick, mouse etc. I have a PTZ console, but this console only allows the use of the joystick on the console. I thought it would be relatively easy to do the same thing with a PC, where I would have more control options. I have found DVR cards with PTZ support, even PTZ cards...all come with software that uses the GUI to operate.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 pm

So it's not directly MainLobby-related?

Girder may be more appropriate here to "click" GUI buttons from a different input device like IR or joystick.
- Brandon

WGTactical

Postby WGTactical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 pm

At the moment, it is not related to any software. That is what I am trying to find now. Hoping if I ask enough people, somebody may have done something similar and point me in the right direction.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:11 pm

I'd look into Girder. It's often used to translate inputs from one thing to another. For example, an IR input to a keystroke or mouse click, etc.
- Brandon

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 pm

For the curious, I just verified that Silex SX2000U2 does indeed work with a HID USB mouse.

Not sure how it's be applicable unless you're running video alongside, but just in case it's of value to someone.

Note that the Silex unit has x64 drivers but does not support isynchronous transfers (audio, webcam, etc).

I'm not sure about the Belkin unit. The pictures seem to imply it does, but they're only pictures.
- Brandon

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”