Access com ports higher than 16 with GenericSerial plugin

In this forum you can share tips and tricks on how to use Cinemar products with some program or a task that you want it to do. So no one has to reinvent the wheel if you already did! (No questions in this forum only solutions, questions will be deleted without hesitation.)

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Access com ports higher than 16 with GenericSerial plugin

Postby davevans » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:06 am

Recently I ran into a problem with the Generic Serial plugin. I have 3 8 port serial expander cards in my system. When I would try and access any port higher than 16, I got an error when trying to connect. The problem is actually not in the generic serial plugin, but in the VB comm control it, as well as many other plugins, use. That particular control can not by default access com ports numbered higher than 16. There is a clever way around it, follow the link below on details to hack the .ocx to enable the upper limit of your choice. Once the ocx is hacekd, all you have to do is add the ports to the generic serial xml file, and you have access to them. If anyone would like me to send them the hacked ocx, send me a pm and I will do so.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm? ... 924&page=1

Dave

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am

Keep in mind that the MLGenericDevice plugin (2 way RS232 ASCII presently) is in a Release Candidate status (or will be very shortly).
This doesn't have that com port limitation. And the best thing is that it is Cinemar owned source code that we can evolve.
The MLGenericSerial will then be legacy and completely unsupported with next steps on MLServer3. Support on MLGS has always been an issue as it was 3rd party developed and now unsupportable. That is the primary reason we built MLGenericDevice was to be able to provide full support for this key functionality.

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 pm

I just downloaded the beta of MLGenericDevice and it still only allows you to select up to com port 16. Is there anyway around this? If not, I will still need to use the MLGenericSerial and my hacked mscomm.ocx

Dave

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:43 am

We have a new serial control that can handle an unlimited number of comm ports. I have sent the control to the developer of the MLGD plugin for incorporation.

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 am

ahhh. great! Thanks!

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Tutorials”