Aspect Ratio in DVD Lobby to Change TheaterTek AR Cmd Needed

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
SandmanX

Aspect Ratio in DVD Lobby to Change TheaterTek AR Cmd Needed

Postby SandmanX » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 am

Hi,

I want to see if someone can write a Cmd line that takes the Aspect Ratio in DVD Lobby and changes it automatically in TheaterTek.

So to clearly explain, there is an aspect ratio field in DVD lobby for each movie you pull off the IMD database. TheaterTek also has editable aspect ratios for each movie you play as well. It would be nice to have a command that can tell TheakerTek what AR the movie you are playing is so it automatically adjusts the AR of the movie based on what's listed in DVDLobby.

In a normal situation, you play a movie in TheaterTek and usually have to manually pick the AR and TheaterTek remembers it forever. Well I have about 300 movies in my server so far and it would take a long time to play each movie and select the AR in TheaterTek.

Also, many people (including myself) use an anamorphic lens for 2.35:1. So basically this skews the Aspect Ratio in TheaterTek, meaning, You don't set a 2.35:1 AR movie to 2.35:1 because the anamorphic lense is stretching the picture. So a 2.35:1 movie on my system gets set at 1.90 or so. So if thie output AR could be a varible so the user can adjust it for TheaterTek, that would be lovely.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Its kind of hard to explain.

Thanks
Ruben

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:48 am

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're after but I've done a little bit of looking into this myself because I'm looking into getting a lens and am trying out a HTPC setup for some of my DVDs.

I assume you have setup your "custom" 2.35:1 aspect ratio as defined in the TheaterTek manual. There is a section dealing specifically with your situation (anamorphic lens).

From my reading of this, it appears that TT can very intelligently handle the AR control and adjust it even between the menu, main title and extras (which all could have different ARs). So, it wouldn't make sense to set the AR with a command before the movie starts. Do you mean you want a command that defines your custom AR as the aspect ration for the main title of this particular DVD?

I think there is a hotkey you can use to do this in TT so you could probably use a command to send this key. The problem is know when to send it. It would need to be done while the main title is playing, not the menu or an extra or preview.

Also, the new TT plugin for ML appears to have defined some AR related commands. Maybe those will do what you want.

But, I must have not really understood what you are after or what the issue is because it seems like the first time you played each movie, you could bring up the AR editor and define the proper AR and it would then be set forever. Maybe dealing with others playing a movie for the first time who won't know how to do this...?

SandmanX

Postby SandmanX » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am

ebr wrote:I'm not sure I completely understand what you're after but I've done a little bit of looking into this myself because I'm looking into getting a lens and am trying out a HTPC setup for some of my DVDs.

I assume you have setup your "custom" 2.35:1 aspect ratio as defined in the TheaterTek manual. There is a section dealing specifically with your situation (anamorphic lens).

From my reading of this, it appears that TT can very intelligently handle the AR control and adjust it even between the menu, main title and extras (which all could have different ARs). So, it wouldn't make sense to set the AR with a command before the movie starts. Do you mean you want a command that defines your custom AR as the aspect ration for the main title of this particular DVD?

I think there is a hotkey you can use to do this in TT so you could probably use a command to send this key. The problem is know when to send it. It would need to be done while the main title is playing, not the menu or an extra or preview.

Also, the new TT plugin for ML appears to have defined some AR related commands. Maybe those will do what you want.

But, I must have not really understood what you are after or what the issue is because it seems like the first time you played each movie, you could bring up the AR editor and define the proper AR and it would then be set forever. Maybe dealing with others playing a movie for the first time who won't know how to do this...?

I have the main feature of each movie ripped to my Raid. I am aware TheaterTek uses a smart Aspect Ratio which sometimes works. But most of the time, I have to manually pick an AR for a first time played movie.

If I am watching first time played movies myself all the time I can adjust this simply and it will be set forever for that movie. But the problem is when my friends or wife watch a first time played movie when I'm not home , they have to watch it in the wrong AR if the TheaterTek Smart AR doesnt work.

Ruben

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:54 am

Okay, I understand. My wife is hopeless with my current setup because I don't have a lens but zoom for 2.35. This requires a zoom/shift/focus procedure that she could never accomplish so I feel your pain. This is the reason I'm looking for a lens and scaler right now.

Are you using the new TT plugin? I see in the docs that it has some aspect ratio commands defined but I haven't messed with them at all and I'm not sure to what, exactly, they map.

Hopefully, dave or someone who really knows what's going on with this will chime in here.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 pm

Ruben,

What would be helpful is if you sent some of the ASPECT commands to TT and then matched them up with an AR in DVDLobby.

Page 15 of the TheaterTek Plugin Users Guide lists the commands.

ASPECTANAM{~Alias}
ASPECTNONANAM{~Alias}
ASPECTLETTERBOX{~Alias}
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Ruben, did you ever figure this out?

I am trying something similar now, but I just want a button on my interface to set the proper aspect ratiio (if it isn't already set in TT). I have two buttons - one for 16x9 and one for 2.35:1. Here is what I have in the MLServeCmd field for the two buttons:

16x9: AV.DVD_1|SetAspectRatio~16:9

2.35:1: AV.DVD_1|SetAspectRatio~2.35:1

I have a custom ratio called "2.35:1" in TT that does the anamorphic stretch. Selecting these in the TT interface works great. When I use my ML buttons, however, I get mixed results. The command is getting sent and received by TT but it either leaves the AR the same and returns "1330 0^" or it sets the AR to 4:3 and returns "1300 4:3^".

What is going on?

[moderator - pls feel free to move this to the TT plugin forum. I posted here because the discussion was already underway.]

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:23 pm

Ruben - or anyone else who stumbles in here - this functionality does currently work. However, you must use a relative offset notation for the ARs in TT (AR 0, 1, 2, etc) instead of the name. It would be nice if the TT plugin could map the name to the proper AR so that we could use the field in DVDLobby. But, I guess, if you really want it to work that way, you could do it by defining all your ARs in DVDLobby as 0,1, etc.

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”