DVDL Feature Request: drop-down input method

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
jrfuda
Expert
Expert

DVDL Feature Request: drop-down input method

Postby jrfuda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:43 am

I've been hearing rumors of potential enhancements to DVDLobby's movie entry interface - both "back" and "front" end...

Here are some requests I'd like to get in before these enhancements are finalized.

I'd like to see more drop-downs. For example, in the current DVDLobby back-end movie entry interface, you get a drop-down for collection and location only. I'd like to see a drop down for "perttt near everything." on both the back-end and forthcoming fron-end input components.

For example, video standard could have PAL and NTSC drop-downs (an whatever else there is), Aspect Ratio could have 4:3, 1.77:1, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1, and maybe specify whether it's anamorphic or letterboxed.

All date entries should have a pop-up calendar.

Now, here's the tricky part. The items in the drop down will be populated from two sources.... One can be defualt items, like the plugin has now. The other will be the database itself. For example, genres would be fed from the database, since we all may name our genres a little differently, same for studios. I'd also like to see this for things such as prompt, subtitles, audio formats, people, changer #, and all the custom cells.

This would save me from having to edit the db with access, since I like to standardize my custom cells and prompts with about a dozen standard entries, which I do not have memorized, so I end-up going into access to cut-and-paste the appropriate data.

Another thing I'd like to see is some sort of way to reconcile the database. For example. I do not like to have a studio entry for 20th Century Fox, Fox, Twentieth Century Fox, and Fox Home Video. I'd like them all to just say "20th Century Fox" There's no easy way to do this currently. Same goes for actors, genres, and soundtracks. It would be great to be able to select, say, "Fox Home Video" and tell the plugin to merge it with "20th Centruy Fox"....Is there at least a way of doing this in MS Access without manually editing all the entries?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:55 pm

jrfuda,

Thanks for the input. We'd love to hear more input/requests on DVDLobby while it's going through this major transition.

In response to your current requests, while I think we could make all the changes, I think once we get to where we are going, entering the data aside from a UPC code or Title is all the user will have to do. Manual entries will hopefully be a thing of the past. More testing will let us know.
Users will still need a manual entry system for home movies though which is where your ideas may come in handy.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Thanks Mario!

Most of the editing I have to do on the db side are for the "custom" blocks and the prompts, becuase I cannot remember the handfull of varying strings I place in those. Since these things will not be automatically filled in - since they are unique to each install - having them in a "drop down" would be of great help.

I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming enhancements!

Thanks again!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:43 pm

jrfuda,

Can you elaborate on what you are putting in the Custom fields and why you have to use them?
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:19 pm

I use the custom fields to pass variables to my HomeSeer script that manages my trailers and movies.

Custom 1 is C, H, O, or V depending on whether the movie is in the Changer, on the HDD, and Offline DVD (usually spec feature discs) or VHS (yes, I still have some of these). This variable is used in my HS script to determine which components to power-up/switch to.

Custom 2 is a short string that relates to which trailer to play while the movie is loading. The trailer varies by the movies genre, also, since the length of the trailers vary, this variable is also used to set the length of pauses in the script. examples of strings in this filed are: DD, DDSCIFI, DTS, THX, DDDRAMA, DDCITY, etc.

Custom 3 is a short string that defines the DSP mode my Yamaha receiver will play in. For example SCIFI puts the receiver in the 70mm scifi mode, ADVEN puts it in the 70mm Adventure mode, NORM puts it in the non-DSP mode (straight DD, DPL, DTS, etc.)

Custom 4 is the title number of the actual movie. It's "1" for 95% of my movies, but - for some (Darn you Dreamworks) like Shrek2, Madagascar, and Shark Tale, it's something like 14. This lets me use the Disc Direct Command to access the actual movie, instad of all the other BS they try to make you watch.

Now, that's what I think they are. My problem is I always get Custom2 and Custom3 confused, and can never remember all the strings, so I always have to go to access to see what the proper way to enter them is.

randy h

Postby randy h » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:29 pm

Mario,

I would like to see batch processing of UPC codes for entering DVDs into DVDL.
I use a bar code scanner to capture my UPC codes for entering new DVDs.
My scanner is NOT a wedge type. I carry it around and scan all the new DVDs, then connect it to my PC and it downloads the UPCs into a simple text file.

Currently, I can batch process this list into DVDProfiler, and then I import into DVDL.

If you are working on a solution that eliminates the benefit of DVDProfiler, I would love to see the ability to batch process UPC codes.

thanks
randy

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”