multizone & resume playback

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

multizone & resume playback

Postby dreamhost » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:25 pm

I was able to get a full demo of a system called kaleidescape last week, and boy there are some features that would be really cool to have in dvdlobby.
1. multizone control simplified
2. ability to pause movie and pick it up at that point at any location in the house. (watch beginning in theater room click stop, goto bedroom and pick up where i left off on the bedroom system)
3. one button addition of movies to the server which in the same step picks up all data, coverart, etc.

I've spent the week digging into network dvd players to try and build myself a kaleidescape system on the cheap. So far as I can tell the network dvd players use a 'pull' system to grab the video from the server. This means I'm stuck with whatever software is installed on the network dvd player, and from the models I've seen they're pretty lame. I've made numerous phonecalls to their tech depts but have not gotten an answer as to whether they can work via a 'push' method where the server 'pushes' whatever video stream is requested. That would then seem to allow me to use any frontend software I'd like to such as dvdlobby.

I know it's not fair comparing a 30k system to a >100 product, but man the differences were oustanding. With no exception every single feature that I've requested over the years and most other requests on this board are already built into their system so at least we know it's possible.

Are there any plans at all in the works to get the dvdlobby product up to spec with these type of features?

Has anyone tried using a network dvd player with dvdlobby to see if what I'm talking about is possible with dvdlobby?

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:59 pm

Do you mean "network dvd player" as in TheaterTek or Zoomplayer playing files from a server or set location?

If So...

I am using Multiple clients and a server. Each client has MLServer, MC11, & TheaterTek. The server has multiple USB2 320GB drives containing movies, And each client has a local dvd drive for playback. For movie backup I have a duplicate of each drive in a fire proof safe.

my DVDLobby defaults playback to the client or you can choose buttons to select where you want playback to occur (kitchen, bedroom, ect.) When you select the movie it plays from the usb2 drive over the network on theatertek.

For multi zone control you can take several approaches. On my system, when you select the play button, the movie starts playing and changes scenes to a control/now playing scene. From here you can select a room (buttons accross the top of scene) and control it instantly.

With some work you can achieve stopping playback in one room and resuming in another.

For one button dvd ripping it may be a while considering the legal aspects. But I believe others have come close to doing this.

That said, I sure do like alot of the features listed in the MY MOVIES plugin.

Todd

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dreamhost » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm

By network dvd player, I meant a 'real' network dvd player not another pc acting like a client.
I found a few like the govideo unit where on the back of the unit there is a network plugin where i can run a cat5 cable from my router to the dvd unit itself. With my nas online at the same time, the dvd player can basically search my network for video files to play. It works really great, with the exception of their gui which really sucks.
A typical kaleidescape system has a nas server and multiple network dvd players throughout the house. each player hooks up to the network hub and uses an absolutelly killer gui that pulls the movies from the nas. I was kinda hoping to do the same thing using dvdlobby as the gui, but not sure if it's even possible.
It's kinda the same concept as using the xbox extender for mce, only you can have dvi, component, etc, instead of the generic connections on the xbox, and the output quality is 10x better.
If cinemar were able to 'work together' with a network dvd player and had the ability to use the dvdlobby gui for their players then WOW, what a change that would be. Just dreaming at this point

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:33 pm

I have just started work on designing one button control on my main system.

I am about to start work on a plugin to control Matrix Orbital LCD displays. The intention being that a user can walk up to a rack mounted PC, and select to rip a DVD / CD using the LCD display and push buttons. Health of system and simple reboot / shutdown can also be supported.

If anyone has one touch DVD ripping sorted I would be interested in hearing. I have read a few solutions on other forums so far, but nothing confirmed.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 pm

I was going to try that, but ended up choosing the PC. In the end it achieved what I was after.

The type of player you are talking about seems like it would work great if you want a TV/Remote interface.

Todd

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”