easy import of new dvd's

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Getting movies into DVD Profiler is a lot easier and more reliable and provides more information than through the DVD Lobby plugin. The DVD Lobby plugin can import from the DVD Profiler database. My initial interest is in getting the stuff that's in DVD Lobby now back into DVD Profiler so I can use that as the primary. I haven't kept my DVD Profiler up to date since the DVD Lobby plugin got decent... of course, it's now not so good. Automating the import from Profiler to Lobby will be the easier part.

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:13 am

Greg,

I ran into an thread for mass imports into DVD Profiler. I wanted to see how it might be automated from DVD Lobby. I don't think this is practical from that aspect but maybe for what you need...

Maybe you can use:

http://www.intervocative.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=6856

It is kind of a kludge, but it might work for you and yours...

Although I still think what everyone else is talking about should be possible. This might be extendable to make that happen.

Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:49 am

Fantastic! (and good to see that Intervocative is back up - I think they were down for a few days)

I'll give it a rip this weekend, for sure!

Thanks!
:mrgreen:

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Mon May 02, 2005 9:29 am

GX,

Did you happen to try this over the weekend? I went the opposite way, converting from DVDProfiler to DVDLobby. I updated all (about 400) of my DVD profiles with location/slot data in dvd profiler. After cleaning out my dvd.mdb, I tried to figure out the best way to import the right slot data into DVDL. The best thing I came up with was pulling the collection.xml file from profiler into wordpad. I then did two find/replace commands to change CollectionNumber to CollectionNumberOld and change Slot to CollectionNumber.

Well, it seemed to work! :lol: I have two things that are current problems:

1. Any box set that is made up by identifying individual DVDs shows up, even though there is no actual DVD identified with it. A nuisance, no big deal.

2. Any muliple DVD sets use the last Slot identified in the set, i.e. Band of Brothers Discs in slots 10-16, uses slot 16. Again, no big deal, but something to start with.

Bob

rraburn

Poll CDs SACDs and DVDs

Postby rraburn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:35 pm

I am excited that the beta plugin for the cx777es is in the works. Please consider that DVDs are not the only "silver platters" that populate these behemoths controlled by DVDLobby. As well, an automatic CD info download to eliminate the clumsy image resize and copy/paste of track info would make it one fine product.

-Robert Raburn
Oakland

rraburn

Poll CDs SACDs and DVDs

Postby rraburn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:35 pm

I am excited that the beta plugin for the cx777es is in the works. Please consider that DVDs are not the only "silver platters" that populate these behemoths controlled by DVDLobby. As well, an automatic CD info download to eliminate the clumsy image resize and copy/paste of track info would make it one fine product.

-Robert Raburn
Oakland

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:06 am

OK, DVD Profilier looks cool, and much more "Wife proof" than going into the DVDLobby Settings page from MLServer whenever a new movie is added.

One piece is missing - how can I automatically update the DVDLobby database when a new CD is added without goinint into the DVDLobby Settings and doing an inport? Is there a way to make a simple button in MainLobby which will tell DVDLobby to read the lastest DVD Profilier output?

Can you use a bar-code reader with DVD profilier? (if I'm really lazy)?

-JSS

Oh, one more thing - I didn't see a place in DVD profilier to tell where the DVD is in a changer. Therefore, you would still have to go into DVD Lobby settings to specify the location or play command. Is this true?

randy h

Postby randy h » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm

jss,

Yes, you can use a bar code reader with DVD Profiler. It has built in functionality for a keyboard wedge type reader. I have a reader that prints to a text file. On the DVDProfiler forums I found a reference to a program that a guy wrote that allows for "batch processing" of a text file with bar codes if you have the type of reader that I have. It was actually very nice to just scan every cover then export from reader to file, then import from file to DVD Profiler.

If you go into "Personalize" in DVDProfiler, you can enter "Collection Number", and then down under the Discs tab, "Location" and "Slot".

I do not know of way to automatically update DVDL when DVDProfiler has been. That would be sweet.

randy

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:59 pm

The bar code option is the only way to go (or for those of us just as lazy as you...).

As far as the export/import goes, that has been the consistent missing link for as long as I can find. The only thing that might fix it is more cooperation between Cinemar and Intervocative, but I've been told that that might also be in the "too hard" bucket. I didn't hear that from Mario though. Might as well ask. :)

MARIO???

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:50 am

I looked into this some more. It's not hard to retrieve the database info from Amazon, and there are other threads here discussing it.

The interface would probably be writted in flash and loaded as an overlay. There would need to be on on-screen keyboard and some other input fields.

Does anyone know how to send MLServeCmd's from flash directly?

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:10 am

Sure,

To run a command:

_root.client.MLServerSocket.send("MLServeCmd.MLCmd|ChangeScene~{{clientname}}~MainLobbyMain1.mls");

To set a variable:

_root.client.MLServerSocket.send("MLServeCmd.RunCmdMap|AV.Z{{{{clientname}}CurrentZone}}.PowerOn")

HTH,

Bob

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:14 am

But -

To get back to it, I'm not sure that we are all on the same page. The one thing that I miss most is the ability to add a movie into DVD Profiler and have it appear (Magic!) in DVD Lobby. If a way to put movies into DVD Profiler, have them catalogued (maybe off an "add a movie" page) and then exported from DVD Profiler and imported into DVD Lobby (whew!) could be done, this would round out the whole system quite nicely!
:wink:
Thanks,

Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:26 pm

I'd like to see it go one step beyond that: ask for the movie information (title or number or whatever as well as changer number and slot and such) in an ML / DVD Lobby window, add it to DVD Profiler and have it reflected in DVD Lobby. :roll:

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:20 am

I'd like to see it go one step beyond that: ask for the movie information (title or number or whatever as well as changer number and slot and such) in an ML / DVD Lobby window, add it to DVD Profiler and have it reflected in DVD Lobby.

Bingo!!! \:D/

If that one thing could happen, it would be a GIANT leap forward for DVDLobby usability.

I'm still not convinced that a dialog could not be attempted between Cinemar and Intervocative to allow a plugin to be developed to do this.

(Maybe it has and has already been rejected?)

It would be nice to ask...

Bob

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:22 am

I'm interested in working on the first part, an ML Window for adding DVDs. But I don't know about the link to profiler. Personally, I don't have a pressing need for profiler if I can make and easy import thru ML. However, it does look like a cool program for those who want a comprehensive record of their DVDs.

-JSS

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”