DVDLobby PPC

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
ChemicaL

DVDLobby PPC

Postby ChemicaL » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:59 pm

During install you get to assign the media server names,. It would be cool to allow peeps to set a clientID for DVDLobby on PPC as well.

Since the movie won't be playing on the PPC, there needs to be some way to tell the MLServer that if a request from PPC comes in, redirect the command elsewhere or play it locally, while still allowing <<CLIENTNAME>> to be used as it is now.

ChemicaL

Postby ChemicaL » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:05 pm

Actually I just thought of a better idea using code that's already been written but for another Cinemar app...

Use the MuLobby zone code to allow DVDLobby PPC to select various zones, each which would set the PPCs <<CLIENTNAME>> variable to the server running in that zone.

If I pick the zone 'Den', then PPC client sends 'den' (my den server's name) as it's <<CLIENTNAME>> variable. If I pick zone 'Master Bedroom' then PPC client sends 'masterbedroom' as it's <<CLIENTNAME>> variable. You get the idea.

In any case, it's either something along these lines or MLDVDLobby plugin needs to be able to differentiate between PPCs and regular clients that may actually play the movie selected locally.

Randy

A great 2004 request completely ignored. Is PPC orphaned?

Postby Randy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm

How about a little respect for your PPC product and recompile it at least once a year with some updates. Thank you from those of us who bought it. It needs zone control like mentioned above from that poor soul who was completely ignored. It needs a lot of the same features that dvdlobby is getting.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:37 pm

With limited resources (as all companies have), we concentrate on those projects that both develop the most cash flow and affect the most number of customers for future growth. What also affects these prioritizations is that there usually is a time frame that technically is optimal (ie: working on some aspect of the application, so might as well add that cool other feature to it while I have the code opened up). We are also skewed in priority when we have a customer who is paying for prioritization (which many of our dealers do, and what the rest of our customers also benefit in - iPort is a good example here).

PocketPCs are cool, UMPCs are cooler for HA / HT control. UMPCs can releverage almost all of the rest of product suite.

Yes, we do know that we should carve up time to work on PPC apps. Just can't promise on when as it's not a front burner.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Randy,

After speaking with you and then to our programmer, I think we're on to something that was easy enough to implement. I've emailed you a test file to prove the theory.

It will allow you to use <<CLIENTNAME>> from the pocketPC.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”