Ability to create collections

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
jstaab

Ability to create collections

Postby jstaab » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:47 pm

I would love to see the ability to create a 'collection' of movies. A perfect example, for those that collect a series of movies, the James Bond collection. I really don't want to see 23 James Bond movies cluttering my movie collection. Rather, I'd like to see a single entry listed, say James Bond Collection, we pick the cover art, you click that, then you'd see all the movies that make up the James Bond series. One would think from a coding perspective, it wouldn't be that difficult as to drill down into the collection, a filter in the background could be applied. This would really, really clean up the overall movie library, as I have other TV series that span ten seasons, thus I have ten entries in the movie library, each naturally spanning multiple discs alone. The idea of a collection, would be a HUGE plus. Now, anyone wanting an example of this, XBMC does this automatically :-)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ability to create collections

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 pm

We've always had the ability to assign a title to a collection. Just not a named collection. It had to be a number. It won't take too much effort to make the collection named. I am curious how XBMC can read your mind and know what collection a title should go to. I'll have to look.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:12 pm

While I don't know specifics, but I believe it is part of the data they download for each movie. Truth be told, when I turned on the feature, all my series magically ended up in a collection, no input needed. So, as your browsing your movies, James Bond is listed once until you drilled down into it to see the 23 titles. Yes, i'll admit to snooping into XBMC, it has a very nice interface, but I found it too limiting, a canned solution, that might work for some, just not me. But the collection idea, as simple as it is, was a neat feature that really cleaned up the overall movie list. Thus instead of seeing a dozen Star Trek movies, Season 1-10 of XYZ, each is listed once, you click, then you see the movies contained within the collection. It really made browsing much cleaner and easier. This is completely different then the multi disc sets, I'm already using that feature for each season that has multiple discs. Even if I had to manually create a titled collection, that would be fine with me, then as you edit a movie, have a combobox where you select or create the collection on the fly. The real change would be to the scene, instead selecting the movie, if it was a collection, it would apply a filter. Thinking out loud :-)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:56 pm

It's a great idea and it will get added. There will be a combo box in Content Manager when editing a movie that will allow you to pick an existing collection or create a new one on the fly. Then you will have an option to filter by named collection.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Just thinking out loud again, what about simply creating a new entry in the movie database, simply treating it as a new movie, and setting a flag that it's a collection record, have a checkbox or something. This way, you can define the title, select your cover art, and this makes it show right inline with all the existing movies?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 am

I think that would open up another can of worms so for now I'll stick with the easier solution and see how that plays out.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Now, I'm not trying to argue, as I don't know the back end, but I'm a little confused as to how this would open a can of worms? The way I see it, you would simply be creating another entry for a movie, only have no disk or path to a file defined, which works today without issue. The only difference, in theory, would be an additional Boolean property on the movie, 'collection' entry, true or false. From this point, the only change is a new field on the movie file. Now, I suppose there might have to be a new collection file with a unique identifier as a cross reference.

From a scene perspective, this, I'm not sure about, but upon clicking a thumbnail for a movie, the logic that I would see is, IF movie.collection = true, then apply filter, ELSE change scene, like today, display the movie details.

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”