How about a plug in for Popcorn Hour A-110

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
Texsun

How about a plug in for Popcorn Hour A-110

Postby Texsun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:04 pm

For those of us who rip and store our videos to a NAS, the A-110 is the Swiss Army Knife of media players and can play just about any format out there, including HD/Bluray. What it lacks is the beautiful front end DVD Lobby provides. If hardware control could be developed over the A-110 with DVD Lobby as the front end, it would be awesome! Any interest out there?

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Texsun,

Do you have one of these devices? If so, does it work well? I've considered it as well as the sagetv product.

I've got everything running off the same pc right now, but would rather have dedicated hardware for video, audio, lighting,... Then have mlserver run off of a single-purpose efficient pc.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am

The big question is can you send a command to it over a network to launch a specified file?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 am

I believe so. You can get free software for it that acts like dvdlobby.

See http://www.treasure-cove.net/moviejukebox.htm

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 pm

I didn't dig too deep, but it looks like they are putting the pages onto this device. I'm not sure what kind of web pages the device will support. But ideally we could send a command to launch a movie from an external client (tablet/iPhone). If someone can find that info - it would be helpful.

I've seen alot of these devices come and go, so I'm not sure how stable they are and how much they lockup. Any user experience would be helpful even before pursuing this further.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

A better path would be Sage's HD200 HD Extender and the MLSageTV plugin. much more capability at the same hardware price and an existing proven plugin exists.

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm

I took a look at the screen shots of the sage extender plugin that I could find on the forum. I'd like something similar to the dvdlobby interface for selecting movies and it doesn't look like that functionality is provided with the plugin. Is it possible to configure dvdlobby to use the extender as the player?

From posts, it looks like you get two free audio zones with the extenders. I'd be using the spdif output for movies and the analogs would be extra. Could these be used with musiclobby independent of a movie playing? The screenshots lead me to believe that the device can't fully be integrated with these other plugins. I'm not sure I'd use the pvr functionality, but would like to move video and audio out of my mlserver pc to something more energy efficient. Then I could have an energy efficient standalone mlserver pc.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:14 am

Yes, you can use DVDLobby as the selector and the HD200 as the player.

Texsun

Postby Texsun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm

mwebster wrote:Texsun,

Do you have one of these devices? If so, does it work well? I've considered it as well as the sagetv product.

I don't have one yet, but have been reading about them extensively in the past couple of weeks.

DavidL wrote:A better path would be Sage's HD200 HD Extender and the MLSageTV plugin. much more capability at the same hardware price and an existing proven plugin exists.

I wasn't aware of this one until now. It certainly looks like it has a more polished GUI and seem to only lack the HDMI 1.3a functionality that the A-110 has.

My desire would be to use DVDLobby as the front end and simply be able to choose SageTV or the A-110 as the player, just like we can now choose TheaterTek as a player and assign a zone to play in.

Edit: oops, didn't refresh to see the post right above....

Texsun

Postby Texsun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 pm

DavidL wrote:Yes, you can use DVDLobby as the selector and the HD200 as the player.

I did a little looking around and found the Wiki for the SageTV plug in - there's a road map (copied below) for development - where are things currently?

Road map
- Phase 0: Proof of concept. - DONE
- Phase 1: Display in a MainLobby client the information available in SageTV (i.e. Upcoming recordings, list of Recorded shows, etc.). Control a SageTV server/client/extender through MainLobby. - DONE
- Phase 2: Two way communication in order to create recording jobs from MainLobby. - DONE
- Phase 3: Add optional MLDMR support to enhance SageTV metadata of Music and DVDs (initially only to be displayed in MainLobby3 Client). Includes integration with MLPhotoAlbum database.
- Phase 4: Display/control MainLobby information through the SageTV interface. - Not started yet (likely use SageTV Studio Designer development tools)
- Phase 5: Use a SageTV extender as a limited MainLobby client. - Not started yet (possibly use MLMenu for navigation so that Studio is not needed for end users)

Currently the first two phases have been completed and the finishing touches are being applied for a production release. Phase 3 and 4 are still under consideration, but no clear way of realizing those has been found yet.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 pm

The plugin allows for MainLobby UI support of the SageTV capabilities. It does not provide support for the SageTV UI of MainLobby capabilities. The Sage UI has means to do this....but it requires software development to customize the UI for user specifics.

So, if you are using MainLobby as your UI and rendering your media via the SageTV client software or hardware extenders (what you originally wanted from the popcorn) then you are set.

Here is more up to date info on the plugin:
http://www.talluscorp.com/mediawiki/ind ... eTV_Plugin

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 am

Texsun,

Looks like we both want to do the same thing and may be the first to try it. I'll let you go first and watch for posts on your results. :lol:

Matt

Texsun

Postby Texsun » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm

DavidL wrote:Yes, you can use DVDLobby as the selector and the HD200 as the player.

OK, that sounds straight forward. I have DVDLobby, so all I need is the SageTV plugin and the HD200 media extender and I can simply choose it as the "location" menu for each movie and when I click play from the MLClient interface, it will launch the movie on the HD200?

thanks

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm

PVR.STV1|Play~file
is the basis of what you would put into a DVDLobby "Location" PlayMovie command.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 pm

I hear alot of good things about the popcorn hour. There is always a lot of talk about it on the unraid forum. It seems like a great product. One issue i know is always a problem is getting them. from what i understand they do not make a whole lot of them and then ship out large orders only every so often. but again, i do hear great things about them.
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”