Box set support.

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Box set support.

Postby kgudge » Tue May 27, 2008 6:37 am

It hasn't been mentioned for a couple of months....please, please, please, please add support for box sets and TV series.

My DVD Profiler collection already has them all setup. Under personal information each disk is listed with location # (dvd changer) and then slot # for each disk.

Currently the import function only sees 1 db entry and picks up the first DVD slot # only.

Even if the import function could see all the slot# for each db entry it would be a start!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 am

Support for multi-box sets requires a rather large change to the database structure in order to properly store the data. This will be part of DVDLobby 4.0. However, please send me your DVDProfiler xml file since I am interested in seeing how you are storing this information.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 am

No problem Dave.

I have exported two box sets, Star Wars trilogy and The Godfather. Hopefully this shows you how I use DVD Profiler. DVD Profiler has a box set feature but it seems way too complex to me.

All I want is a top level image for the box set and several disc slots associated which I can then select after the main disk is selected.

A "box set" flag would be usefull for any profile containing more than one disk (even two disks like those with bonus materials).

I could then check the flag in my main movie scene and pull up the parent image x times on a second scene with the relevant movie title.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Thu May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Kgudge,

Have you checked out Brandon Higa's solution? That's the route I took, and it works great for me. It takes a little extra time to set up, but it works like a champ. I've got over 1500 discs cataloged in this manner. With the 3.75 upgrade I had to do a couple of minor tweeks to the code, but it actually works pretty cool now (the sub menu for the individual discs animates on & off the scene instead of just appearing). Give it a thought it's really well documented by Brandon.

Forum thread that introduces his idea:
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2279&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=multi+disc&&start=0

His web site with very well commented instructions:
http://www.tygatech.com/mainlobby/DVDLobby-MultiDisc.html

-Alan

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Thu May 29, 2008 6:04 pm

My brain melted trying to understand this both times I looked at it.

:oops:

Perhaps when I'm more upto speed with this cinemar stuff it will make more sense.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re:

Postby keyvan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Support for multi-box sets requires a rather large change to the database structure in order to properly store the data. This will be part of DVDLobby 4.0. However, please send me your DVDProfiler xml file since I am interested in seeing how you are storing this information.

Hi Dave

I was wondering about this feature - good to know it is in development.
I have been playing around with a product called plex: http://www.plexapp.com/ (it's a free app for mac's only - based on the old XMBC media player for the old xbox)
It's because I got a Mac mini and I liked the look of it... The way it handles ripped tv series/seasons/episodes is pretty good. I think it uses IMDB and TVDB for scraping the meta-data. The recognition is based on the naming convention used for each playable .vob file - so you would have to name a file containing say the 2nd episode of season 4 of Seinfeld as "seinfeld - S04E02.vob" - (a bit labourious..!) but then it does give you a way to view any episode from any season with a preview of the synopsis and pretty good artwork.
It does mean that you have to rip each episode from the DVD disk (not always obvious without the disk menu displayed) and your rip software (I use DVD fab, but anyDVD/cloneDVD does the same thing) has to do chapter/title seperation for ripping. Which I am sure will not be popular with the iso rip crowd. But how else are you going to seperate episodes?? - The only other way is to just rip the whole dvd and navigate via the native menus on the top menu of the disc for the episodes on that disc - or is there a better way??

Just thought it's worth a look if you are looking at integrating the TV series feature in the next major release. The skins are pretty good looking too - but made for on-screen nav not really good for touch-screens.

Keyvan R

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Re: Box set support.

Postby donburkard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Im with Kgudge on this one. My hair actually caught on fire as i read that. :lol:

I just wanna put it out there that i am super pumped for dvdlobby 4. so what do you need to get it done? a case of red bull and some beef jerky should get you through it. :twisted:

and maybe some of these...
[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Re: Box set support.

Postby donburkard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Ha ha! this has nothing to do with anything but i love the new little prayer guys. Im not religious at all but when you put them together it looks like a little chorus going " rum, rum, rum, rum"

:D
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”