sony cx777es and escient se-d1

Have a great idea about how to expand DVDLobby post it here
philadam

sony cx777es and escient se-d1

Postby philadam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I have a sony cx777es hooked up to an escient se-d1 media manager via rs232 and it is awesome what it can do with the movies and the information it captures from that player and presents in web format for browsing. Since Escient went out of business, have you ever thought of contacting them and obtaining that technology to include in Content Manager so I wouldn't have to manually add all 300 off my older DVD movies? I mean, if they can do it with the rs232 connection then the protocols are there and it is doable. Would be a great addition for all of us 777 owners with large DVD libraries.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: sony cx777es and escient se-d1

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 am

Escient was able to do this because there is a command in the 777 protocol to get the DVDs TOC value. The TOC (Table of Contents) is a string of around 150 characters and is unique for each DVD. Escient paid someone to gain access to a database of DVD titles that included the TOC values. This database is not cheap. Back in the day we used to have a subscription with AMG, now Rovi, and we too were able to look up movies by TOC. When AMG decided to more than triple our subscription costs we decided not to renew it. You have to sell a lot of copies of DVDLobby to pay for the $50K subscription just to look up movies.

So, that's why we cannot look up movies on a 777 changer. However, all is not lost. If Escient provides, or you can generate, a list of movie titles and their corresponding slot numbers then Content Manager is capable of importing that list. The only labor involved is getting/creating the list. Once you have the list importing is on auto-pilot. I can assist with the latter.

philadam

Postby philadam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeah, I am working on that now. It will let me print them to an html list, with the following information: Movie title, changer name, and slot number. I just need to know what format I need to import into content manager.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 pm

That's all I need. Send me the raw html file it creates and let me see it.

philadam

Postby philadam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:42 am

I was able to get in Excel format. If you want raw html, I can get that to you tomorrow.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:21 am

Any format is fine. Ultimately it needs to be in a tab delimited text file. Send me what you have so that I can make sure Content Manager will import it.

philadam

Postby philadam » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 am

I thought I attached a file. See if you get this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks, got it now. Let me verify that the import will work here then I'll post the version of Content Manager that will use this file. Then you can let it run on your PC at home. I'll post another message today when it is ready.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:00 pm

I just released the updated Content Manager that has the option to import movies from a text file menu option exposed.

When you install the new Content Manager you'll see under the Add Movies button an option called "Import From Text File"
Select that option. Then select the tab delimited text file to import. This importer expects the source file to be in one of two different formats.

Either

<<Movie Title>><<TAB>><<Changer Number>><<TAB>><<Changer Slot>>

Or

<<Movie Title>><<TAB>><<Path To Movie File On Disc>>

Once the import file has been loaded and everything looks correct select all the items to import and press Start. If you want to run it in auto pilot make sure you check off the Auto Import option before pressing Start or Import.

You'll probably have to do some fine tuning on the TV shows after the import is finished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

philadam

Postby philadam » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”