Forum Login Issues

This area is to offer suggestions and to provide feedback on Cinemar Forum and its software. This area is not to be used to discuss forum rules or to complain about forum actions in regards to post or users. Posts will be removed that do not follow this.
greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Sun May 21, 2006 12:48 pm

smoothtlk wrote:Can u clear your cookies and try again?

Just tried. Used IE option to delete cookies, then did it properly by deleting all cookies in c:\documents and settings\<userid>cookies.

Logging back onto the forum I can see a cookie being created in the cookies directory. However closing IE and going back to the forum it still is not logging in automatically.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Sun May 21, 2006 12:52 pm

OK, think I have worked out the problem :P

If you go to the forum by using the link on Cinemar's home page it causes the logon details to be lost.

If you go to the forums directly each time then it remembers your logon details.

Once you have clicked on the link from the home page, your logon details are lost until you enter them again - even if you go directly to the forums URL.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun May 21, 2006 2:40 pm

greyt,
I think u got it. thanx for the debug.
I never go to the forum via Cinemar's home page. I always use a Favorites link (which works fine).
thanx.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun May 21, 2006 3:40 pm

There should be nothing wrong with how the forum is configured. It is using a proper cookie domain. I would highly suspect a recent Microsoft update that is causing the problem. The last IE security rollup is really nasty in that it does all sorts of strange things with ActiveX controls. I've personally have had to remove "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812)" from all of my Windows PCs just to get normal functionality back. Do you notice strange yellow outlines on ActiveX components, especially Flash objects, in your web pages? Thank this upgrade for that. There is an even more restrictive IE security update coming from Microsoft in the June updates.

Just in general check your Internet options regularly. Microcoft updates have a tendency to turn things on and off at whim just because Microsoft thinks it's better for you. You have have cookies disabled.

My test network has 8 PCs on it and none of them have any trouble with cookies and the Cinemar forum.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Sun May 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Dave,

Use the URL

http://forum.cinemaronlineforums.com

and you will see that the cookie is not working. This is the URL if you use the forums link from Cinemar's home page.

If you use

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com

then everything works correctly.

Graham

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Sun May 21, 2006 9:00 pm

Dave,

I have noticed those strange boxes around flash objects! Where do I go to remove this security update? I did not see it in add/remove programs. Thanks for the feedback.

Davis

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 pm

I've download and run the phpbb cookie mod and hopefully the correct cookie information has been set for everyone. Seems to work for me.

To see the downloaded and installed Microsoft updates you have to go into control panel and the Add/Remove programs. You'll see a check box on the top of the form that says "Show Updates" You have to make sure this box is checked. Then when you scroll to the bottom of the list you'll see the Microsoft updates and you'll be able to remove the ones you don't want. Note - that if you have automatic updates turned on the updates will automatically be reinstalled the next time AU runs. You have to specifically tell AU to ignore the update.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Mon May 22, 2006 2:18 am

indecision wrote:Dave,

I have noticed those strange boxes around flash objects! Where do I go to remove this security update? I did not see it in add/remove programs. Thanks for the feedback.

Davis

That patch is part of an IE rollup patch. Microsoft have a "compatibility fix" that you can apply to disable this functionality, but will only work until they release their patches on June 13th, this will enforce this setting.

Basically if you want IE patched up to date then you will have no choice but to accept this functionality change. (MS lost a lawsuit so they have been forced to change the functionality).

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 pm

... or go to Firefox, which is not being pursued by the same lawsuit. :wink:

RonX

Postby RonX » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:40 am

I have the same problem, and is still present.

The cause is the link on the main page of Cinemar, if you follow that link to go to the forums (http://forum.cinemaronlineforums.com/) the cookie is not being remembered and you need to log in every time, because the cookie is being set to www.cinemaronlineforums.com.

I need to write in the address bar http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com or log in again to get the forum remember your logon details.

My suggestion is: Update the link on the main page or change the cookie that is being sent to the clients.

Thanks

Return to “Forum Feedback”