News & Announcements

This area is to offer suggestions and to provide feedback on Cinemar Forum and its software. This area is not to be used to discuss forum rules or to complain about forum actions in regards to post or users. Posts will be removed that do not follow this.
blafarm
Expert
Expert

News & Announcements

Postby blafarm » Fri May 25, 2007 7:27 pm

It would be very useful if forum members could receive email alerts to new posts in the News & Announcements section. That way, new software and library update announcements could be "pushed" to members -- rather than being dependent on daily visits to the Index page.

You can't sell it -- if nobody knows about it.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

i have found the rsss feeds via outlook as a helpful resource but the nagging challenge remains keeping up with the constant changes updates and new features....

Cinemar has grown so fast in so many ways I sense even Mario and Smooth have a tough time keeping up with all the changes....

I suppose a mechanism that's easy for them to maintain......and thorough enough for the community to rely on sounds ideal, but would it take resources away from the actual product? tough call....especialy with such a demanding user community.
ChrisB

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Sat May 26, 2007 1:14 am

At my day job, we started a new forum running vBulletin. vBulletin can both subscribe to RSS feeds (essentially you get an RSS-fed forum) as well as publish to RSS.

If the RSS publisher is enabled, users can subscribe to any (non-restricted) forum and get an RSS feed of posts.

At least we hope our users are using that function to subscribe to the News forum, if not other ones as well.

I'm sure there are other forum software packages that support RSS publishing as well. We chose vBulletin for a number of reasons. Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. It also supports XML publishing, for inclusion in web pages and other apps.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Sat May 26, 2007 2:29 am

Interesting suggestions -- but I'm talking about something real simple.

For example, a notification system could be easily and immediately implemented by creating a one sticky thread at the top of the News & Announcements section that users could subscribe to -- but not post to.

A very short post on that sticky thread by Mario or Smooth would notify subscribed users of a new software or update post to the News & Announcements section. The short notification post to the sticky could contain a link to full post in that section.

Frankly, it could be handled in much the same way as Theatertek notifies users of software updates:

http://www.theatertek.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7096

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat May 26, 2007 8:27 am

blafarm,
Cinemar does what TT is doing with that announcement page. The problem is that Cinemar has many more products and each product has that announcement page. The top thread of each product catagory keeps track of what's new with that product. We typically update the first sticky post, and then add a new post saying that there is an update to trigger the email subscription send. The overall Announcement area is kept for substantial releases and introduction of new products or new support additions.

Can't you subscribe to those current sticky threads of interest and get an email now? I personally don't have it turned on because I try to read every new post, multiple times a day (not that we expect anyone else to spend that time).

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Sat May 26, 2007 6:50 pm

smoothtlk,

There's nothing wrong with your suggestion -- although I believe some of the product categories and plugins are missing that sticky at the top of the list.

It would just be nice if some simple mechanism existed to alert interested members of a substantial version release or an introduction of a new product. Otherwise, you are depending on users to look at the index page to determine if something important was announced that may be of interest to them -- and which may of business interest to Cinemar.

No big deal...just a suggestion.

Return to “Forum Feedback”