Best way to put flooplan into ML

Place to post your creations and discuss them, attachments are currently limited to 512kb. Please notify administrator to post larger files.
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Best way to put flooplan into ML

Postby simonmason » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:58 am

I am just about to create a graphic that represents the floorplan of my house and load it into MainLobby. I thought that Visio would be the easiest way to do this. What format do I need to convert into to make it a button that I can add? If there is a tutorial on this please point me to it. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:18 am

You can import JPG and SWF files. So your floorplan will need to be in one of those two formats.

Cinemar offers professional services to convert floorplans for you:
http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/services.floorplans.php
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

itanic
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby itanic » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:52 am

I used Viso for mine. Works great, but you must convert to one of the formats that Mario notes above. I used JPG for mine.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 am

Same here. I had my complete home in AutoCAD. I Imported that to VIsio, broke out just the layers I needed. I then sized the file for the screen and exported it as a JPG. I also used Visio to create the room overlays individually (like in the 0019 interface) as example, then exported then as JPG's.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 am

I have gotten as far as creating the floorplan in visio. I am having trouble figuring out how to get the jpg into the scene? Also, what is the best way to create the room overlays and have them highlight under the mouse? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am

I actually did my overlays in Flash due to this issue. You can not create a "mouse over" color in Visio.

On the "how do you get this thing into Cinemar" issue; Simply save the graphic as a JPG and place it in a directory under your content directory. In ML, place a text field on the screen, then place the shortcut of the JPG into the "JPG image or Flash" field, and save it all. Your field will transform into a "JPG loader" field and your graphic will load.

There is a guide someplace on the board in how to create a floorplan and how to create the overlay, including what colors to use. I will search for it.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks, I got that working. I have noticed two things right now - I need to change the Visio default colors for walls and I also need to set a transparent background. I haven't used Flash before but I know they use it at work. I will have to see if I can get my hands on some of the tools to look at it. Are there any open source or shareware editors for this? Thanks again.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Next question - do I have to use Flash in order to create a transparent background. I converted by image to GIF in order to make the background transparent but then noticed I can only bring in a JPG or SWF.
Simon D. S. Mason

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 am

I don't think you need Flash for transparency. I'd get your visio output into png format and run Cinemar's conversion utility to get the swf. Then adjust transparency with the alpha property available in the buttons states panel.

I used punch software to get my floorplan, then gimp to chop it up, then the swf generator and some cyclestates stuff like the 0019 example for the functionality.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks for the pointers - where do I get this conversion utility from? Thanks
Simon D. S. Mason

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I got to it from the main cinemar page shortly after it was released. The link is gone now, so I'd check mlinstaller. That's where it should be.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:43 am

Ok, I got the program. Checked the wiki, can't get anything to work. Perhaps I can get some pointers? I have created a nice floorplan in visio. I can output from Visio in JPG, PNG, or GIF.

I see that swfgen accepts PNG or JPG. I put the floormap file in the down image to see if that would work but I get nothing when I add it to the layout - through Background FX - maybe this isn't correct?

For the up button I created a rectangle the size of one of the rooms and saved that as a separate PNG file. When I made the SWF all I got was this button filling the screen!

A quick step by step would be useful! Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 am

I used the same file for the up/down/over. Then specify the output filename. Then add in ml by adding image, scale the image in ml so that it doesn't fill the screen.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 pm

It is better to reside the file outside of ml. Scaling inside of ml takes considerable overhead.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Clever1

Re: Best way to put flooplan into ML

Postby Clever1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:33 am

I am planning to focus on getting my floorplan into ML today. I believe that I have all of the applications required to do the task. My question is I know how to create a basic floorplan in Visio but an interested in extactly how the default floorplan in the client is generated. How many layers are in the floorplan graphic? There appears to be a light gray floorplan under a layer that has black thicker walls with a slight shadow, is that correct? Is it all done in Flash so that the rooms highlight when hovered over or selected?? How is the transparentcy done? Are the floor plan rooms filled in a light shade of blue gray then the background?

Return to “MLS files/Buttons/Icons/Backgrounds/SWF/3rd Party Apps/Device Files”