New Graphics Layout

Place to post your creations and discuss them, attachments are currently limited to 512kb. Please notify administrator to post larger files.
rtarver

New Graphics Layout

Postby rtarver » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 am

Trolling for opinions here guys. After about the fourth start (each time a little closer) on my graphics design, I think I've converged to something tolerable. This is my first scene and before I worked up all the other scenes I thought I'd troll for opinions and suggestions. So fire away if you're so inclined.

Thanks,

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warp Speed now, and don't give me
any of that dilithium crystal crap!!!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Looks good so far. Post some shots of your proposed navigation bars or panels.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 am

I can't read the blue... but I'm old.

rtarver

A little more work tonight

Postby rtarver » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:56 am

Figured out the navigation/Options scheme. I never liked the limits of the sliding layers effects. So, I created an overlay scene with one button on it that had a *.swf with a cutout in it. This becomes the main graphic on layer 3. Layer 2 is the 'slider' with Navigation and Options in it. Background Layer 1 is the navigation buttons. When I touch navigate, the window slides behind the rest of layer three. It doesn't need to slide all the way off the screen to disappear since it fits perfectly inside the cutout. Choosing any of the navigation menus will close the slider the same way and load the appropriate overlay. Gave the slider a 10 for move speed and it makes a really nice transition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 am

I agree with Greg on the Blue - Brighten it up some.

On the navigation, The user that did not know the screen would not know to press the word to do something. You know it because you are the designer, so you always need to think as if you are a first time user.

I would add a button, which actually could be the same black tone, but with a thin border and an offset color for when it is pressed. In this way, the navigation commands look like action buttons with good feedback.

As for the roll in/roll out; that works as long as you are on fairly fast screens. If not, I would consider static buttons. I always prefer static so that the navigation commands are always available.

I would almost consider rolling the navigation panel over the media buttons at the bottom. You do not need them when you are attempting to get to another screen.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

rtarver

Thanks guys

Postby rtarver » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks for the thoughts... you're right, it's always easier when you're the one designing the pages. I'm torn between striving for a nice consistent look, and completely custom for each service (movies, music, etc). I'll change the colorscheme for the datafields and add something so the navigation/options buttons look 'pressable'. The transport buttons are common knowledge so everybody knows they can be pressed. I think I'll keep the slider since I like how clean it looks when in 'standby mode'. Again, the slider simply moves away and reveals the underlying navigation buttons and I really like the effect. I'm now searching for a quick little 'swish' audio clip to tie in.

Maybe I'll try and change the navigate/options buttons to swf's so I can have them pulsate their glow. That might indicate functionality.

These scenes are for the theater pc, where mlserver resides so speed isn't an issue.

Thanks again... more work this weekend so hopefully I'll have some more to post.

Russ

PS, Wife agrees with you guys.

Return to “MLS files/Buttons/Icons/Backgrounds/SWF/3rd Party Apps/Device Files”