Least expensive route to Multi-zone audio?

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Least expensive route to Multi-zone audio?

Postby jeffx » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Wondering if my Audio Distribution Hardware setup is unique:

(1) M-Audio Delta 410 audio card (8 analog outs, 1 digital--5 zones total)

(4) Sonic Impact T-Amp amplifiers

(1) Pyramid 13.8VDC 6 AMP / 8 AMP power supply

(1) Insteon ApplianceLinc V2

Total Hardware Cost (not including speakers, wire or HT 5.1 amp):

$150 Sound Card
$100 Amps (4 x $25)
$ 25 Power Supply
$ 30 ApplianceLinc V2

~$305 Total
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I've been interested in those sonic amps. I had thought that they would be underpowered for filling a room with sound at moderate to high levels. How are they working out for you?

Also, what are you using the appliance linc for? Does this give you 2-way control of amp power? Are you powering all amps on/off together?

Thanks for any details. I sure admire your cost.

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffx » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 am

They definitely provide enough power (with zero heat produced by the amp). In my Living Room, we have a pair of BIC M80 in-wall speakers. We almost never go any higher than 50% volume, and that's very loud in a smallish 20x25 foot room.

I am not an audiophile, but from the reviews I have read on the T-Amps, with decent speakers and a clean power source, the sound quality should rival $1000 amps.

Yes, I have all the amps running from one power supply and I use the Appliancelinc V2 for 2-way power control. I keep the T-Amp volume knob at about 80% and control volume levels through JRiver/MuL.

For $25-30 an amp, it would be a small risk to just try it. You can't even find a T-Amp anywhere in-stock online right now, everyone is sold out! That should say something about how great this little device is.
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

gnaffs

Postby gnaffs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:30 am

Hi, How do you connect the T-amps to the powersupply. Do You connect the 2.5mm dc plugs directly to the + and - of the power supply? Do you know how many Ampers each T-amp needs?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 am

As an FYI, Cinemar's AMP152 is a T Class amplifier. Available at http://www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.ampsolutions.html
It uses the PC's power supply. Great for adding a zone to an existing multizone system!

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffx » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:04 pm

gnaffs wrote:Hi, How do you connect the T-amps to the powersupply. Do You connect the 2.5mm dc plugs directly to the + and - of the power supply? Do you know how many Ampers each T-amp needs?

Yes, I run all my t-amps directly to the same power supply. You will only need about 1.5 ampers (@ 12v) max for each t-amp.

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”