RAID Appliance

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

RAID Appliance

Postby gregoryx » Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 am

I bought an Infrant ReadyNAS NV and loaded it with four 500G drives. Yeah, I know that the 750G drives are already announced, but I'm not going to wait and I'm not going to pay that much right now. On the plus side, I can migrate the whole array to any size drive whenever they become available. That's one step better than OCE; I've not heard of that option with most other solutions.

I'm VERY pleased with the device.

I'm amazed at how "enterprise ready" it is for a $650 device. Yeah, it's no hard-core storage system, but it's got support for SNMP and AD, which don't fall in the "home-user" category in most cases IMNSHO.

If you're looking for 1.5T of "plug-and-forget" storage, it seems to be a helluva setup. I paid about $1800 for the whole setup. The NAS has a 1-year warranty and the drives have a 5-year warranty.

Infrant tells me they'll have an 8-port unit by end of year. I expect to get that and some 750G drives when that time comes. =P~

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 am

Welcome to the club. I've been running a couple of Infrant X6s for a few months now (I looked at them at the recommendation of another Cinemar member that was happy with them), they're indeed rock solid boxes! I finally retired my PC fileserver and I don't miss it anymore 8)

Firmware p9 introduced that annoying fan speed up to +2k RPM but it's easily fixed with a custom 120mm Silenx or Papst fan connected to the fan2 pins.

Two thumbs up for ReadyNAS!!!

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 am

I agree. Bought a 1.6TB version in Jan and coudnt be happier. Plug and play no worries.

MUCH easier then the two 3Ware 8 port SATA Raid cards I am using (Which I think when I bought them were $600 each).

Try dealing with 16 drives in one housing. Even with the thinner SATA cable it is a PITA.

Im psyched on a 8 drive ReadyNAS.

Frank

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Tue May 02, 2006 2:04 pm

nfrant tells me they'll have an 8-port unit by end of year. I expect to get that and some 750G drives when that time comes.

that explains the 8 status lights on the p9 RAIDar screen :D :D awesome!

Ripper

Postby Ripper » Tue May 02, 2006 6:36 pm

I also have the 1.6TB X6 rackmount model..excellent box.

laugr01

Postby laugr01 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Ripper wrote:I also have the 1.6TB X6 rackmount model..excellent box.

Has anyone considered the SATA Port Multiplication adapters?

One adapter, with 4 external eSATA II ports. Each port can support up to 5 SATA drives.... gives potential for HUGE storage one on machine.

If anyone has, I'd be interested in learning where you got the parts. Newegg for the drives, but the best price I've seen for the towers is $415-$599

THANKS!!

Greg

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:17 pm

For a ReadyNAS? or something else?

laugr01

Postby laugr01 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:54 pm

For a ReadyNAS? or something else?

For DVD/Music storage.

Instead of the ReadyNAS appliance. It's more like a build your own.
Can expand to 20 drives on one SATA Card.

:-)

500GB x 20 (@ RAID 0) = 10TB :) :) :)
(But I'd hate to have to restore that much if one drive fails, so in reality, I'd use RAID 5).

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”