Home Theatre In Creation

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
stevew

Home Theatre In Creation

Postby stevew » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:33 pm

Hi all,

Where to start?

I post under redbull99 in avs forum, in case you recognise me. I thought this might be a more appropriate place to post this as I may need help from the forum as my home cinema progresses.

My current configuration:
12'x12' living room
Sony 32" KV-FQ75 TV
Denon AVC-A11SR Amp
SKY +
Sony DVPS525D DVD player
Sony CDP-CX450 CD player
2400+ AMD 240GB HTPC with ATI radeon 7900pro card.

New purchases:
Dell axim 400mhz pocket pc
SIM2 Domino 20 dlp projector

Aim:
To knock the living room into the dining room 10' x 10' to make a home theatre 22' x 10-12'.

I have been considering this for a while, so to force the issue I knocked a big whole in the plasterboard, no turning back now. This was prompted by the arrival of my projector, which I wasn't expecting for a few weeks.

I now have a lot of decisions to make the first being what flooring to go with. I have a choice of wood flooring or stone/ceramic tiles, any suggestions anyone?

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested? Photos to follow.

Steve

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:33 pm

Hi Steve,

Definitely keep us up-to-date with photos of your project.

I imagine you may have already thought of this, but putting in hardwood or ceramic in your theater could really produce poor sound no matter how good the speakers.

Ideally you could install carpeting; however, your goal may not be a dedicated theater and more of a multipurpose room which may prevent you from having flooring other than what you've mentioned.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:00 pm

SteveW - I assume that the wall you need to remove isn't weight bearing for above structure? From the dimensions of the room, your above floor trusses probaby go side to side, but if you haven't already, make real sure. If a wall on the second floor (if you don't have a ranch) is directly above the 1st floor wall to be removed, use caution. Also make sure there isn't any structure holding up the roof that uses the wall you want to remove.
Open Air theaters sound terrible...

stevew

Postby stevew » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:38 pm

smoothtlk wrote:SteveW - I assume that the wall you need to remove isn't weight bearing for above structure?
Open Air theaters sound terrible...

The wall is down, and the stars are looking great! Just joking...

It was only a plasterboard partition, and non weight bearing, what a mess though. All tidied up now, just need to make good the wall joints.

Need to have some fun first, I can't leave the projector in it's box any longer, I need to play. The 8' screen arrives tomorrow, so I will set everything up, check everything fits and works correctly and then strip it all down again to re-decorate.

I am guessing dark matt colours are best for the walls, not sure what to do with the ceilling it's smooth white at the moment?

mcascio wrote:I imagine you may have already thought of this, but putting in hardwood or ceramic in your theater could really produce poor sound no matter how good the speakers...

I am a bit worried about the floor, I have carpet at the moment (except where the wall was) but it needs to be replaced with something harder wearing. I'll try it with the carpet and then take up the carpets and put the large rug and 20+ 3'x3' cushions I have on the concrete floor to see how bad the sound is. Hopefully with the soft furnishings I can get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Steve..

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Carpet or hard flooring?

Postby K-Wood » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:00 pm

I think that it IS possible to get the best of both worlds. I have my HT in a 9x17 basement room with tile floors that are 75% covered by an oriental rug. I also have a sofa, chair and ottoman of ulphostered furniture. It's not ideal acoustically, but its not bad either. It will definitely improve with the addition of curtains on the french doors.

The room is multipurpose, so WAF prevented me from going with crazy acoustic treatments.

Careful attention to speaker placement, particularly the sub, and perhaps some equalization of the low frequencies, and you should do okay with acoustics.

Not exactly the purist approach, but you have to compromise somewhere!

Check out the pics at http://woodgrant.net.

- Ken

stevew

Cool,

Postby stevew » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:20 pm

Ken, thanks for the advice, I might have to compromise on the sound for durability, great website.

I couldn't resist setting everything up even though the room isn't finished!

Here's one of my heroes on sky svideo, and musiclobby on my Phililips smart display and 8' Sim2 domino projector - awesome.

shame the photos don't show the quality when converted. As you can see by the pile of cables, not everything is connected yet. The cupboard on the left will be moved. I have had to move a 200 gallon marine fish tank first, that was hard!

Steve..

stevew

Update

Postby stevew » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:01 pm

Hi guys/gals,

Just thought I would post an update, I have just bought a new htpc case to make my system more living room friendly. The case has a built in vfd and remote controller, not sure how I am going to use this yet. Is anyone using a vfd display with the lobby suite I would love to know what software you are using and what you are displaying?

Unfortunately, my new SIM2 domino projector is just too good to take down and finish the room. For those in the uk I got it from Jeff at http://www.projectorsareus.co.uk/, what this guy doesn't know about projectors and movies isn't worth knowing, and excellent service to boot.

Mario/Dan - can't wait for TV lobby/uk tv graphics that is all that is missing from my system, keep up the excellent work.

Steve..

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:10 pm

SteveW,

Dan threw in a plugin for the Matrix Orbital MX2 LCD so that you can send messages to the LCD from Mainlobby.

Supported commands:
CLEAR
WRITE~<<Line1>>~<<Optional: Line2>>
BACKLIGHTOFF
BACKLIGHTON

I have the Matrix USB flavor. Now that Dan provided MLRedirect, I might play with that next to see if his plugin can interact with the USB version.

Dan- it would be cool if the LCD could show the name of the playing movie, or the volume, or the MP3 name, etc.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:47 pm

Steve,

What kind of HTPC case did you get? I'm in the market for one myself, but am looking for the right price point (real nice and real cheap).

I'm thinking about an Antec Lifestyle Series Overture. They're selling for less than $100 at some places and seem to offer the most bang for the buck, although have no LCD or VFD display and aren't quite as pretty as some of the cases like the D.Vine Series ($190-$250) or the mother of all HTPC cases, the A-Tech Heatsink Case which would cost me almost $800 if I got it with all the features I'd like.

Post some pictures of the case (maybe in various stages of hardware installation) if you get a chance.

stevew

Postby stevew » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:19 pm

jrfuda, I went for the accent case from quietpc http://www.quietpc.com/. Here is what I actually bought:
2 (TWO) Ultra-Quiet 60mm Case Fan, 3 pin connector £ 12.00 £ 24.00
1 Accent HTPC Case HT-200G (2-bay, Gold) £ 165.00 £ 165.00
1 Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) for HTPC Cas £ 45.00 £ 45.00
1 IR receiver and remote control kit for HTPC C £ 29.00 £ 29.00
1 Nexus KCZ-2700LS Nickel Plated AMD Cooler £ 18.00 £ 18.00

I have not yet put everything together, but will post photos, as I proceed.

Here is the kit before I start:

smoothtlk: do you have the link to Dan's plugin? The vfd has a parallel port connector and clams to be able to wake the motherboard from off status, I will only be able to find out when I have tried it.
The link to the vfd is: http://www.quietpc.com/uk/caseacc.php#vfd
The link to the remote is: http://www.quietpc.com/uk/caseacc.php#irkit

Steve

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:33 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful case! Too bad that quiet PC USA doesn't sell it. It looks alot like the D.Vine case, the 4 Series in particular, I mentioned above.

You're going to have a really nice rig when you're done. I'm going to have to search around and see if I can find someone in the states that sells it. Eventhough my profile says I'm in Korea, I get all my mail through the US, so I have to use US-base E/Retailers.

Thanks for posting the pic. Let us know how the build goes!

stevew

Postby stevew » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:46 pm

jfuda : If you click on uk- worldwide and when you get to checkout select USA as your country it looks like they could supply, this is what it came up with:

Item Description
Price each Quantity Total

Accent HTPC Case HT-200G (2-bay, Gold) £165.00 1 £165.00 In stock
Subtotal: £165.00
Shipping by UPS (1-4 days) £35.00
Total £200.00 € 287.85 US$ 339.12

You might still be in luck!

Steve

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:05 pm

I did some searching of the net and found a few US retailers that carry the case and accessories.

The case was averaging around $230.

Then I noticed that the case manufacturer was Kanam. Kanam is a Korean Company (as further searching revealed). I can probably pick one up here dirt cheap.

I went looking out on the economy last week and the only local made cases I could find were Lian-Li. Most of the others were Chinese/Tiawanese.

I'll have to ask one of my Korean friends if they recognize the company, and know where I can buy locally.

Here's their website: http://kanam.co.kr/kanam/sitemap/sitemap.htm
The bottom half of the page is in English.

Wish me luck.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Bubble's been burst!

Postby jrfuda » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:18 pm

Well, my Bubble's been burst.

I got with a Korean friend and he did some research to find the best price around here for one of these computer cases. The best price he could find was 220,000 Won (~1150 Won = $1 U.S.), so around #191. That's not as good a deal as I thought I'd get, but better than the $229 I saw them for online, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping. He then asked a few more questions and was told it came with the VFD and IR options. Whoa! Now that's a good deal. So my friend drew me a map and I wondered through the electronics market and found the seller. Once I got there, though, they told me it did NOT include the VFD and they could not get the IR option. The VFD was another 40,000 Won ($34). I guess I'm going to go with the Antec Overture case after all. It's only $99 and comes with a nice 380 watt power supply.

It seems odd to me the inconsistency of how things are priced. My wife and I will go to one of the markets that sell "overproduction" runs of designer close, and get here DKNY, Liz Claiborne, Express, etc. clothing for 10,000 Won a pop, with them retailing for $50 - $150 in the states, but electronics, even made in Korea stuff, is more expensive here than in the states. I got a Samsung CDRW from Directron.com cheaper than I could get it on the Korean Economy.

I guess manufacturers are more likely to overproduce shirts and pants than they are hardware.

Anyway, Steve, it looks like you got a pretty good deal on your case. I hope you guys are enjoying it. Post some pictures when you have it all integrated with your system.

John

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”