Option for connecting PC to Plasma

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
stevedaniels

Option for connecting PC to Plasma

Postby stevedaniels » Sun May 01, 2005 4:47 pm

How are most of you connecting ML on the PC to the your TV? VGA, HDMI, DVI...the PC that I am using has a standand video card and not real advance connection options...NOTE: I am not using this machine to serve as a HTPC (ie. running my video into it, just send the ML software to the TV)

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Sun May 01, 2005 5:16 pm

The PC VGA connection to the Plasma PC connection looks clearer than the S-Video....that seem wierd to me....can someone explain?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun May 01, 2005 5:33 pm

Resolution.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun May 01, 2005 6:05 pm

Steve,

That's correct the order from worst quality to best connections is as follows:
Composite
S-Video
Component
VGA
DVI
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Sun May 01, 2005 6:51 pm

That is great!!! I am excited....I have only one DVI in my Plasma and my HD DirectTV receiver is using it...so the VGA works very well....I am one step closer now...

I have installed the trail version of ML and we and purchased a null-modem cable for my Sony 777...

Next steps...please clarify is I am wrong.
1) Connect DVD Player to PC via null-modem
2) Install ML Server
3) Install Sony 777 Plug-in
4) following instructions and it should work?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun May 01, 2005 6:58 pm

That's pretty much it. If experience holds, you'll probably find some glitches in that perfect plan. :lol:

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Tue May 03, 2005 7:51 pm

I did all of the above and I can send MLServeCmd.MLCX777ES|Power from the Send Server Command line inside of MLS and it turns the Sony changer On and Off...yea!!!!! However, when I added a button in mainlobby and set the field MLServCmd to MLServeCmd.MLCX777ES|Power and then pressed the TEST button on the button properties field, nothing happend. I have the ML Server "listening" and nothing apprears there when I try to send the command from ML. It apprears that ML and MLS are not talking....any ideas?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue May 03, 2005 8:13 pm

Steve is Mainlobby running on the same computer as MLServer?

You should see a client connected in MLServer. Clients connect (1)

If you don't then you need to configure MainLobby to talk to MLServer when starting up. From MainLobby, select OPTIONS > STARTUP.

Then configure the Computer Name (Server) with the name of the computer where MLServer is running.

Be sure to restart both programs. For good measure, start MLServer first, then MainLobby for your initial tests.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 pm

OK...got the remote controls to control the DVD player from ML...yea! My next obstical is that I added three movies (using the Internet feature) and I set Changer = 1 Changer Location = 1 (2 and 3 respectively) and the Location = Changer. They all appear in DVDLobby, but I am not sure how to get one to play when I seleted it. I have setup the remote keys to work (i.e. fwd, stop, play, etc) they work fine...I can stop the player etc, I am not sure how to tell it to select (change to the proper Changer Location) the movie that I click on with my mouse? What do I do to make the highlighted one play?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2005 2:52 am

Steve,

Good.

Now you just need to configure the Default Play Movie command in the MLDVDLobby plugin with MLServer.

See the documenation on the following page in the section labeled:
Configuring the Default PLAY MOVIE Command from within the MLDVDLobby Plug-In

http://www.cinemaronline.com/mlserver.cx777es.html

PS I'm assuming you are using the MLCX777ES plugin vs. the one that uses the Global Cache.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 am

Perfect...it plays each one from the Test button and when I click on the large jacket in DVDLobby!! This really cool stuff.

I now have also have ML installed on another laptop to see if I can simulate a Tablet that would be mounted on the wall. So far, I have the remote ML conntected (seeing) the MLS on the main machine (I can see 2 Clients connected in the MSL window)...

I was able to pull up the same config(by sharing that directory) that I created on the server machine and press the DVD power button from the remote machine and it passed the command to the server machine and turned of the DVD power....However, when I look at DVDLobby from the remote machine, the movies that I added do not show up...I have set the DVDLobby.ini file host and the mlsserverconnect.ini host and in the DvdLobby Setup I set the host all to my server name. Any ideas?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2005 11:00 am

STeve,

Do you have a firewall turned on?

Are you seeing text or just not seeing dvd images?
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Wed May 04, 2005 1:50 pm

Both machines are connected to my router/gateway, but I don't have any specific firewall software. I can see the button that I put on the DVDLobby page, but I don't see any of the movie text or images.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2005 1:52 pm

If you are running WinXP Pro - SP2 - I believe they automagically turn it on.

From Windows:
Start > Control Panel > Security Center

See if you see the Firewall on.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

stevedaniels

Postby stevedaniels » Wed May 04, 2005 8:03 pm

It works!!! I changed all the references for the Host to be the IP address instead of the computer name.

I have a quesiton....Is MlRedirect used to issue commands so you can watch DVD's on the Client machine that are stored on the server machine (assuming they are on Harddisk)?

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”