Hard Disk Burn Out

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 pm

gregoryx wrote:Hmm... I think I may ditch my 7500-8 that I was about to start building an array with... I can buy a 9500 and just put a couple of drives in it to start, right? :shock:

hehe, that's the same "reasoning" I use to buy new stuff...my wife doesn't quite agree though :shock: I ditched my 7500-8 a long time 'cause OCE was
about to be released on the 9000s, that was a year ago...they're just a bit late but it does work finally...

Tell you what...I'm adding the new 400GB tomorrow, I'll post some pics of the RAID OCE in progress to entice you a bit to upgrade :D :D :D

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 am

Hahaha!! You guys are a bad influence! ... and here I thought I encouraged others to spend money too often ...

I actually have one each of the 7500-12, 7500-8 and 7500-4. The 7500-8 and 7500-4 are in my new fileserver. The 7500-12 is in the running fileserver. I'll be bouncing the contents of the 12 (12x120, 1.2TB) to the 8 (8x250, 1.5TB) and leaving the 4 (4x250, 0.75TB) for "scratch" space since the machine will also be running some video transcoding.

I just have too many PATA drives to convert over to SATA right now. Maybe in a year or two... Or if I get a job at a a hard drive manufacturer, heh.

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:33 am

PeterM1 wrote:Tell you what...I'm adding the new 400GB tomorrow, I'll post some pics of the RAID OCE in progress to entice you a bit to upgrade :D :D :D

Thanks! :D

err... :?

I think...
:twisted:

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:50 pm

Ok, here we go....

Notice the 4x400GB RAID5 group, plus 1 new 400GB found as part of the array rescan (online)...

Click "Migrate Unit" and add 1 new drive:

Let the waiting begin...will be done tomorrow at some point

Now, for some fun pics...This is what happens with 12 SATA cables (and I thought I was free after moving off PATA...next time I'm thinking of using the Multilane 4-1 cabling system)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for random purchasing desires that may spontaneously occur during the reading of this thread nor the repercussions while dealing with your significant other :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:46 am

Holy cow, I'm very jealous of those RAID cards!

Are you guyys paying retail for those tings, or close to retail (all the prices I've froogled are within $100 of eachother, and cost more than TWO entry-level PCs).

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:59 am

Are you guys paying retail for those tings, or close to retail

If I remember correctly, I used a 10% off buy.com coupon, otherwise, yes, these things are very expensive.

I pulled the trigger on an expensive RAID card (9500S) and a 12-disk SATA case last year 'cause I was tired of upgrading cards and PCs every year, especially now that OCE is working, this case will give me another 2-3 years easily. Next step is to start selling the 250s to make space for the 400s. Now that the 500s are out, we should hopefully start seeing some 400GB discounts.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:16 am

I'll just wait until someone starts selling 1TB HDD's for less than $100....

...but by then we'll have soe sort HD-DVDs, and you'll have to have 40TBs of space just to hold a DVD collection.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:40 pm

I'll probably wait until the perpendicular-recording drives stabilize out but that's pretty darn cool!

The multi-lane adapter and backplane would definitely make things even cooler. Infiniband-style connectors are quite nice - just be careful not to break the locking clip.
- Brandon

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:13 pm

bhiga wrote:I'll probably wait until the perpendicular-recording drives stabilize out but that's pretty darn cool! The multi-lane adapter and backplane would definitely make things even cooler. Infiniband-style connectors are quite nice - just be careful not to break the locking clip.
Huh? I've heard of the perpindicular recording deal, but you've lost me with the rest.... What I'm really waiting for is one with a whipple twin screw supercharger...

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:01 pm

In my humble opinion, you guys need to ditch the SATA and move to 2GB fiber channel through a switch. :lol: Here's what we have on our workgroup servers at the office:

http://www.sun.com/storage/workgroup/3000/3500/3510/index.xml

:twisted:

We have them set up in an active/active configuration, so you can pull out things like fiber, cards, or power and it just keeps kicking!

Bob

PS. I WISH I could afford to put this in at home... :shock:
PPS. But they do SCREAM! The only thing I've used that was much faster is the solid state disk array, but it was a bit pricey for the bit/$...

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:05 pm

It's all ball bearings. 8)

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:09 pm

oh man, I can't believe you guys fell for that stuff :? ...Sun drops their entire storage line every year...it's Hitachi this year, it'll be something else the year after...Among other things, I manage an all Sun datacenter so I've dealt with this for years...it'll be hell before I buy fibre-based Sun storage :roll:, at least nothing bigger than a 3310 anyways. Stick with EMC, NetApp and Hitachi and you've got a solid infrastructure.

Anyway...for the past few years, I've had a Clariion (1GB Fibre) FC4500 and DAEs at home...no need for a switch as I only had 2 hosts connected to it. After the 146GB Fibre drives, the gap between IDE and Fibre started to widen a lot...SATA/PATA is trully the most affordable home solution at the moment, SCSI & Fibre are too expensive....

just my 2c :D
Last edited by PeterM1 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:38 pm

How about a RAOSFD system? (RAOSFD=Redundant Array of Old Slow Floppy Drives). It would only take 1,073,741 1.44MB Floppy drives to make a 1TB array.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:06 pm

jrfuda wrote:How about a RAOSFD system? (RAOSFD=Redundant Array of Old Slow Floppy Drives). It would only take 1,073,741 1.44MB Floppy drives to make a 1TB array.

Hahaha I did think of that at one time - along with a RAOD - for optical drives... It'd just be really funny to see running. Maybe a RANOZD for Now-Obsolete Zip Drives...

The multilane cable combines multiple SATA signal paths into one combined connector. The backplane then "breaks it out" to each drive. In theory you could just do the reverse of the combine on the other end to split the signals back to standard SATA connections. The advantage is that you have less cables in the intermediary path from controller to drives.

It'd make for an excellent external RAID connection as well.

Brandon
- Brandon

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:56 am

Luckily we get it cheap! Our client has pretty strict requirements on what can be implemented...

Bob

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”