Hard Disk Burn Out

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:19 am

mediastorm wrote:
gregoryx wrote:Wow! :shock:

Not just GEEKS... OLD GEEKS! :lol:

Hey, your right there with us pal!

Yeah, yeah... I know... :roll:

Commodore 64 was my first. Wrote a "game" in BASIC... none of this fancy stuff that you folks had. Seven kids on a mailman's pay... we didn't have much money... neighbor didn't know how to use the thing, so I got to keep it for a while. I really loved learning it. I still LOVE learning... computers and other things... lots of history and physics... weird stuff. :D

But, see... I don't want to lay claim to the geek side. :P. I run a business (yeah, tech-focused, I know :roll:), surf, rock-climb, drive fun motorcycles and cars... I am much more than a GEEK! :lol:

Okay... "old'... yeah, I have a simple philosophy on that: I LOVE getting old; I know what the alternative is. :wink:

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:50 am

gregoryx wrote:
mediastorm wrote:
gregoryx wrote:Wow! :shock:

Not just GEEKS... OLD GEEKS! :lol:

Hey, your right there with us pal!

Yeah, yeah... I know... :roll:

Commodore 64 was my first. Wrote a "game" in BASIC... none of this fancy stuff that you folks had. Seven kids on a mailman's pay... we didn't have much money... neighbor didn't know how to use the thing, so I got to keep it for a while. I really loved learning it. I still LOVE learning... computers and other things... lots of history and physics... weird stuff. :D

But, see... I don't want to lay claim to the geek side. :P. I run a business (yeah, tech-focused, I know :roll:), surf, rock-climb, drive fun motorcycles and cars... I am much more than a GEEK! :lol:

Okay... "old'... yeah, I have a simple philosophy on that: I LOVE getting old; I know what the alternative is. :wink:

Who ever said geeks couldn't be cool? Lest you not forget, WE run the planet... Well, at least until it blue screens then we refer it to the help desk. ;)

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:11 pm

I bought the PS2 Defender of the Crown which is supposed inspired by the original - I had the PC version which kinda sucked graphics and sound-wise compared to the other platforms at the time, but was still way fun!! Haven't played it yet though.

Speaking of games that sucked from a technical aspect but were SUPER fun, my favs were the Infocom text adventures (Zork series, Suspended, etc), Seven Cities of Gold (apparently there was a semi-recent re-release) and The Ancient Art of War (the at Sea version wasn't quite as good).

Makes me want to boot up one of the old 486's and go find these gems now.

Oh yeah, as for the topic - heat will significantly reduce the lifespan of a drive. The funny thing is that it seems it's not entirely linear. Exposed to the same environment +/- 1-2 degC, one drive will live perfectly while another will die an early death.

Brandon (proud to be an old geek)
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:30 pm

bhiga wrote:I bought the PS2 Defender of the Crown which is supposed inspired by the original - I had the PC version which kinda sucked graphics and sound-wise compared to the other platforms at the time, but was still way fun!! Haven't played it yet though.

Speaking of games that sucked from a technical aspect but were SUPER fun, my favs were the Infocom text adventures (Zork series, Suspended, etc), Seven Cities of Gold (apparently there was a semi-recent re-release) and The Ancient Art of War (the at Sea version wasn't quite as good).

Makes me want to boot up one of the old 486's and go find these gems now.

Oh yeah, as for the topic - heat will significantly reduce the lifespan of a drive. The funny thing is that it seems it's not entirely linear. Exposed to the same environment +/- 1-2 degC, one drive will live perfectly while another will die an early death.

Brandon (proud to be an old geek)

If you dig around there was a release of all the Infocomm text adventures in a bundle with an app to run 'em that I ran across not too long ago. Some Google searching would probably turn them up pretty quickly.

On Topic-

Another consideration is the temperature range the drives cycle through. It is much better to run a drive on the warmer side constantly than to run it until hot and shut it down until cool. The thermal cycling is incredibly hard on drives. Anyone in IS will tell you they try as hard as possible to avoid letting a server cool down completely when it has been running non-stop for the past 6 months. Everytime you do you cross your fingers that the drive will spin up again. Thank goodness for RAID. ;)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Y'all are probably pretty familiar with it already, but MAME is a pretty cool thing for us old geeks that like the original video games. It is truly the original experience, as it actually uses the original code from the old Asteroids, PacMan, and all those things. I got a funky controller with a big knob on it and big buttons a ways back to really get back to the original "video games" stuff. Haven't touched any of it in years now, of course... :roll:

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Maybe we need MAMELobby...

On topic: The SMART status of most modern drives give a good report of what that drive's status is. There are a number of counters and indicators.

I have an external drive enclosure from Granite Digital which has a display on the front which shows different SMART parameters. Pretty neat stuff. Not sure if there are Windows SMART monitors that can show all the attributes or not.
- Brandon

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:06 pm

bhiga wrote:Maybe we need MAMELobby...

Yeah... I toyed with that idea... but since Main Lobby chews up ALL the processing power of a Progear, it would have to shut down while the game plays. On the plus side, the Progear has plenty of power for playing a game in MAME. :D

For those not familiar, check out MAME.

Maybe I'll get back to that concept eventually... could probably shut down ML while MAME runs and have it start again when MAME shuts down. My ML clients already return to the last scene they were on... may be worth trying... :)

hikarion

Postby hikarion » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:47 am

I've been thinking about adding something like this. It could be done seamlessly (but not without a lot of work) when the MainLobby Database Plugin comes out, but here is an idea for now

There are a lot of mame "Front End" programs that might be able to be integrated very well. Here is one of the best ones imo

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/screenshots.htm

also here is a page of almost all the mame front ends

http://www.zophar.net/frontends/mame.html

My plan is to add this, but i have to finish my configuration first then get to it, so many in a few weeks.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:37 am

Dan Dreicher a long time ago was working on a MameLobby based on DVDLobby type UI. I am pretty sure he never posted it, but he might have gotten it working.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:02 pm

"Beware of Geeks Bearing .GIFs" :D

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:19 am

Wow, I'm out of here for 2 days and you guys are already on MAME? Where's the rest of the computer history timeline? :D :D

On topic: I finally got to try OCE & RLM on the 3ware card, despite the fact that I was planning for a failure, the hardware portion actually worked.
I converted a 2x400GB RAID1 LUN to a 4x400 RAID5 group online. Data was accessible and intact throughout the 24hr+ migration. You're supposed to leave it alone, but you know me, I was poking around on purpose and marking which files I changed so I can confirm the data later 8)

The filesystem resize operation was disappointing on the other hand. It seems that Symantec pretty much bought every single company that had software that can handle >1GB filesystems. Nope, I'm not willing to buy Volume Manager from them just for a resize. The only exception (on paper) is Acronis and their eval wouldn't even recognize the filesystem on the 3ware...I have an open call with them.

In the meantime, I just picked up another 400GB off eBay for $155 so the cycle repeats :D

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:09 pm

PeterM1 wrote:I finally got to try OCE & RLM on the 3ware card, despite the fact that I was planning for a failure, the hardware portion actually worked.

:shock: Which 3WARE card and firmware / software versions support this?

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:18 pm

Which 3WARE card and firmware / software versions support this?

firmware 9.2 on the 9500S-12 (any 9000-series should work) :D :D

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:45 pm

PeterM1 wrote:
Which 3WARE card and firmware / software versions support this?

firmware 9.2 on the 9500S-12 (any 9000-series should work) :D :D

Thanks for the report - it's good info!

:cry: My 7500 series cards don't support such coolness, but I can live with two arrays and bounce back and forth for now... Can't justify a bunch of $$ to replace my array right now.

Brandon
- Brandon

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:08 pm

Hmm... I think I may ditch my 7500-8 that I was about to start building an array with... I can buy a 9500 and just put a couple of drives in it to start, right? :shock:

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”