Hard Disk Burn Out

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
Bago
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hard Disk Burn Out

Postby Bago » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:37 pm

I have two Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm hard disks in my HTPC case which I have had for just over 1 year. I have now gone through 2 hard disks which are on their way back to Maxtor for replacement. I assume the issue is heat, but I thought I would see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

By the way - the drive that goes is the boot drive in both cases.

Barry
:cry:

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:41 pm

We had a few bad ones that we got all at the same time at the office about a year ago, but the ones that came as replacements have been flawless. We thought heat was the issue as well, but it has had no affect on the rest of the drives or the replacement drives.

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Bago,
YMMV, really.

I've had bad luck w/Maxtors and good luck with WD, Hitachi & Seagate. Other people's experience is very different. Either way, disks will die. Shoot for 3 or 5 year warranties to compensate for the (statistical & anticipated) failures.

I also do an incremental image update of my boot drive on a weekly basis. It's all done online with no disruptions via Acronis. I have 2 spare 60GB bootdrives ($30-40 each) handy that I can restore to and successfully boot my media-server and HTPC from should one of their boot drives fail. Just a compensating factor for the unavoidable.

good luck.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:41 am

I don't know how you guys feel about TigerDirect, but I thought this might be of interest: Seagate Barracuda 250Gb drive (OEM, so no rails, etc, but with 5-yr mfr. warranty) for $79.99 after rebate. It's one per hosehold, but we all have friends. :wink:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1265028

A little love from a newbie. . . :lol:

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:13 am

that's a good price for a 250!

If you want to take this a bit further, a fatwallet thread yesterday listed the Hitachi 500GB SATA from Dell for $300. Not the best $/gig but awesome price for 500GB drives (the first ever 500GB discount!). Downside is that you lose the 3year Hitachi warranty, you get 1year instead from Dell (so 2 years warranty max if you buy with Amex)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:15 pm

No kidding! They've got the 400G for $190, too!

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:04 pm

:D My friend and I had this discussion yesterday...

"So what would you do with a 500 GB drive?"

Figure out how I'm going to get another one so I can back it up, because that's a lot of data to lose when the drives dies - and it will die at some point.

Seriously though - 2 TB in a 4-drive array (6-drive with RAID-5 and hot spare) - that's insane!! [-o<
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:09 pm

bhiga wrote::D My friend and I had this discussion yesterday...

"So what would you do with a 500 GB drive?"

Figure out how I'm going to get another one so I can back it up, because that's a lot of data to lose when the drives dies - and it will die at some point.

Seriously though - 2 TB in a 4-drive array (6-drive with RAID-5 and hot spare) - that's insane!! [-o<

Anybody remember back to the Commodore Vic-20/C-64 days when you had a tape drive? How 'bout the Timex-Sinclair tape drives?

Now, THAT is insane. ;)

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:59 pm

Well, if we're taking a walk down memory lane, do you remember how many times we had to rewind the tapes on the C64 to find the "beginning" of the games...that and the weekly cleaning of the tape drive with qtips :D :D :D

Getting that 5 1/4 floppy drive on the C64 and later on that 20mb (gasp!) hard drive on the Amiga were beyond belief...I mean come on, how can you possibly fill a 20 MEG hard drive :shock: :D :shock: :D

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:02 pm

PeterM1 wrote:Well, if we're taking a walk down memory lane, do you remember how many times we had to rewind the tapes on the C64 to find the "beginning" of the games...that and the weekly cleaning of the tape drive with qtips :D :D :D

Getting that 5 1/4 floppy drive on the C64 and later on that 20mb (gasp!) hard drive on the Amiga were beyond belief...I mean come on, how can you possibly fill a 20 MEG hard drive :shock: :D :shock: :D

Defender of the Crown and Amiga Paint of course. ;)

PeterM1
Expert
Expert

Postby PeterM1 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:07 pm

Defender of the Crown and Amiga Paint of course. Wink

He He, ok now we're talking...Dragon Lair and Interceptor...I can't believe they fit Interceptor in 1 floppy!!!! These were the days... :D :D :D

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:38 pm

Wow! :shock:

Not just GEEKS... OLD GEEKS! :lol:

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 pm

PeterM1 wrote:
Defender of the Crown and Amiga Paint of course. Wink

He He, ok now we're talking...Dragon Lair and Interceptor...I can't believe they fit Interceptor in 1 floppy!!!! These were the days... :D :D :D

Let's not forget Congo Bongo and good 'ole SYS 4096. :)

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:41 pm

gregoryx wrote:Wow! :shock:

Not just GEEKS... OLD GEEKS! :lol:

Hey, you're right there with us pal!
Last edited by mediastorm on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:37 pm

What a great thread… brings back some good memories. Although, each new post makes me feel that much older. :D

My first computer was the venerable VIC-20 with a tape drive... those were the days! Press play.... eat lunch... RUN program. How about the PETS with their built in green screen displays?

I remember watching the ball bounce on the Amiga 1000 for the first time and wiping the drool off my face. Defender and Interceptor… played them until I had carpel tunnel.

It just so happens that I still have my VIC-20!!! :oops: So her you go boys… don’t drool too much. :shock: Does this make me king of all Nerddom? Hey... is that Bill Gates on the cover? :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”