Hard Drives for media server

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
Big Bob
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hard Drives for media server

Postby Big Bob » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:37 pm

PC hardware is totally new to me, so please forgive what may be a silly question.

If I'm looking to build a RAID Media Server for audio and video files, would the MaXLine Plus II drives be a good choice?

Specs are:

Maximum capacity 250GB
≤9.0 ms average seek time
7200 RPM
Ultra ATA/133
S.M.A.R.T. compliant
8MB cache buffer

I have a vague understanding of what the specs mean, but am clueless as to what a media server needs.

Thanks in advance

Joe

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:10 pm

They'll work fine. Between my setup, one at the office and one that a friend has, we're using those drives on two of the three and they've had no more trouble than the WDs in mine. Failures WILL happen; I'd recommend a 3ware or similar card that will notify of failures so you can anticipate a failing drive before it's actually dead. The real conservative approach would be to run a hot spare as well as a parity drive. That'd mean that you'd get 1.5T out of eight drives, but you'd have the ability to have two failures and still be at full functionality - giving plenty of margin of error to get the failed drives replaced.

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”