2.7TB Rock Solid

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

2.7TB Rock Solid

Postby gregoryx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:45 am

The replacement of the four 500G drives in NAS1 with 1T drives is finally complete (took two full days). Just can't beat rock-solid, reliable, (relatively) cheap storage.

NAS1 is our primary data storage - including 600G of music, 300G of photos, 15+ years of data, backups / snapshots of each, as well as our primary web server - serving up the full photo album and all photos to the web.

NAS2 has four 750G drives. I figure I'll replace those when there are 1.5T or larger drives available.

8)

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:16 am

Gregoryx ,

I know you have used various enclousures over the years, which one did you settle on ?

Thanks,

Ron

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 am

I've been using the Infrant (now Netgear) ReadyNAS NV (not the NV+ - that came out after I bought my two units).

Performance is good. Noise level is low. Maintenance is zero. Okay, actually I blow the dust off them (without turning them off) every few months). Features are good. I have not added any non-Infrant plugins to them or enabled shell access; but the basic file and web services are plenty for my needs. I tried their streaming (to one of my old Squeezebox units) but prefer just attaching to them as file servers from a JRMC PC.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm

I just recently removed my readynas. The unit was rocksolid as gregoryx says, but I have been on a mission to cut down on electrical usage in my rack closet so I put everything on homeserver since i had that machine running anyway. That box uses quite a few watts measured by kill-a-watt.

Besides the energy consumption, it ran for 2 years before I had to replace a 500gb drive due to heat issues, but the replacement was seamless and easy.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:30 pm

I understand the power draw is much lower with the new WD low-power drives. Hardly the higher of my power draws in the house. :? :roll:

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Gregoryx,
Thank you. I've recently added a 1TB internal drive to my Media server, but its not raided. I also added a WD MyBook World 1TB drive to the network, and it had instant WAF aproval. So next time I think I want to add the external enclosure and go with RAID for recovery. But the prices right now are a little high. Need to press for the whole house audio CAV6.6 first. :)

Thanks,

Ron

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 pm

There's a couple of less expensive units out there than the Infrant. Since Netgear bought them, the price has gone up. :roll:

I like that many of the current NAS disk-less units can start with two drives and go to four or five. Still ain't as cheap as a single-disk unit, fer sure. :)

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 am

When compared to the EMC units we use at work, the price is a bargain. ;)

But still a little to high for the Home Board of Directors to approve. :)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:25 pm

I heard that! :lol:

I've been fortunate that the home departmental discretionary (pre-approval not require) limits have raised a lot over the years.

Also, it seems that anything described as "assures our photo library is completely safe from loss" opens the budget considerably. :lol:

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”