Conference room configuration

No matter how large or how small, the area of Home Theater is what we all have in common. So...Let others know your configuration. List your components first and then if you care to, a small history. Be sure to come back and keep it updated!
oferpeleg

Conference room configuration

Postby oferpeleg » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi everyone !

First of all some good feedback ,
My name is Ofer and i'm a new ML user, after experiencing with all kind of controlling software's (CQC,HouseBot and etc) i came across Cinemar software and you can be sure that it's the best out there.

My first ML project is a very nice and fancy conference room with the following equipment :

Mini-ITX 1.5 Ghz 512 MB VIA embeded control PC
ViewSonic v210 Airsync wireless client
USB-UIRT
8 RS232 PCI Card
Controling:

Yamaha RXV-359 - IR
Pioneer DV393 DVD - IR
SHARP VCR - IR

Creator VGA4x4 Matrix -RS232
Polycom Viewstation FX - RS232
Hitachi CP-X1250 projector - RS232
T-Control (local brand) Home automation connected to 2 blinds, projection screen, Projector elevator and lighting - RS485

Some lessons learned:

1. The 1.5 Ghz PC is too weak to handle the flash movies that i've planed using during system loading and source switching, i had to take them out.

2.The Viewsonic client is a great product but wireless network transportation is bit of a problem with intermidate-heavy configurations.

3.MLgeneric plug-in is a bit tricky ver 2.1.19 worked fine for me, i hope that Cinemar will build new full 2 way RS232 plug-in that will be easy and powerfull soon without the known bugs that MLgeneric got.

4.USB-UIRT is too slow, when you need to a continues Vol+\- command,
You will have to send a few (4 commands for me) of the same command to speed things up a bit.

5.Using a static IP speeds the Airsync reconnection.

6.MLserver is not activating the RTS & DTR lines at the COM ports (12 volts out) so the i had to add an external power supply to the RS232-RS485 converter that i used (spent a few hours searching what is wrong ...:-(

That's it for now...

i hope i would help like you've helped me ...

Regards,

Ofer.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Ofer,
Thanx for the update.
There is the MLGenericDevice plugin that has been in beta for a while. Currently handles ASCII very well. We have dove off into other projects so we haven't been able to add HEX support to this plugin and that's one of the major reasons it's still in beta. But, if your device is ASCII, and you want to try it, PM me and I will add you to the beta group to test and get your feedback.

One of our major reasons to start on MLCalendar was for a customer that wanted a means to view a conferernce room calendar of events. Kinda a cheap way to expose a conference room schedule to multiple users without the cost of a scheduling enterprise system. Thought you might be interested with your post subject.

I am also curious on your mission to find the best HA / HT software system. Can you detail a bit on what you tried, how long you tried it, what you found it did well, and why you left it for Cinemar? Very Very few people have done that tour with the current generation products, so if you have recent detailed experience (that you don't have to write a book on :) ), we would appreciate your trip details.

Thanx again and welcome to Cinemar's Forum!

We got some very cool stuff in the hopper that will be out shortly.

oferpeleg

Postby oferpeleg » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:34 pm

smoothtalk,

I was happy to read your replay and hear that you've got some new things in the sleeve ....

Some background:
I'm a system programmer and sales manger at VDS Israel (Video Data Systems) We are Dealers and Integrators for AV and control projects.

My search for the best Control software started as an alternative for the Commercial Control systems like AMX and Crestron that as everyone knows are very expensive and only dealers have the editors access.

At first we thought about develop our own VB software with some VB Programmers outsourcing help, but after we got the price quote and all the disadvantages that we could think off one of the programmers suggest that will try finding some kind of project on the web, then we didn't realize that there are some great software solutions on the market.

To make a long story short, the first software that i tried was "Meddio" HouseBot that was sold to "Cebotics" later:
Very nice software with good forum support and a bunch of plug-in's,
The graphic editor is not that powerful and the button libraries is poor,
Very simple to understand and use.
I made 2 projects using it for 3 months.
Price-49$

The second software is "Charmed Quark" CQC 2.0:
This is a very complex professional software that takes awhile to learn and deal with, the graphic editor is better then HouseBot ,GUI libraries is richer but not getting near to ML3.
2 things i didn't like about CQC:
1. The complex and time consuming programming, the configuration is not exportable easily too (very important for integrators).
2.The price, 699$ for DIY 1200$+500$ anual fee for Dealer !!!!

I'd used it for 30 days (trail period) and never used it for a real project (the pric issue was the real problem - tring to find a better value from money solution, remember?)

Both programs have a fully functional trail version that can be downloaded.

After contacting "Convergent Living" and seeing the amazing flash GUI that they use, I understood that Flash is the prefect GUI for Control applications...some googling and ML was found !

From my experience the 4 most important elements are :

- Good GUI editor
- Reliability
- Programming convenient
- Support support support

And ML got it all ....

Regards,

Ofer.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanx Ofer,
Much appreciated. Pretty much maps to our understanding on where the products are in the market.

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”