Reload camera images?

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Reload camera images?

Postby kgingerich » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 am

My home scene displays a continuous feed of one of my cctv cameras. After a certain time the image becomes static and I need to press Home to refresh the home scene and therefore refresh the image. In looking at the image properties there is a "Reload" and "Repeat" check box. What exactly do those do and would they help?

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reload camera images?

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm

The continuous stream from the camera looks like one large download to the browser that it is going to try to hold in memory. At some point in time you will exhaust memory and the image will stop downloading. That's why it becomes static. The page refresh flushes the memory and allows it to start streaming again. My guess is you are looking at a motion jpeg stream?

Do your cameras have the option of streaming a mp4 stream? If so you would have better luck using the Video object and have it look at the mp4 stream. You won't have the memory issues going this route.

The Reload checkbox is for automatically refreshing a static image. This is really used for cameras that just supply a static image and you have to constantly refresh the image to see the current picture. This is not what your cameras need. The repeat is approximately 1 image per second.

The Repeat button is when you use the image as a clickable object and you want some command to be repeated as long as the image is being pushed. Not a solution here either.

If all else fails you may have to implement a system timer to automatically refresh the page every N minutes. Or if your CCTV feeds provide a snapshot point to the snapshot and just enable the Reload button.

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgingerich » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I was actually just feeding it the "Video_1_image" variable within ML which is a basic jpg for each camera. This was without the "Reload" option checked so I'm not sure how it was working based on your information above. I have just switched this to an actual mjpeg stream to see if it makes a difference. It sounds as if it won't due to the memory issue but I want to test anyway.

I have a mix of cameras all being captured by Blue Iris nvr software and some don't support mp4. However, BlueIris can re-stream them back out as mjpeg or h264. Is h264 supported somehow?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 pm

No browsers can consume an RTSP h264 media stream. Depending on how the mjpeg stream is encoded you may have better results. Quite surprised that you had issues just looking at the static images coming from the server. Those are just jpg images being refreshed at 1.5 second intervals. When you switch the mjpeg stream make sure you use the {{video_x_liveimage}} variable.

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”