Designer on Windows 10 Pro

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Designer on Windows 10 Pro

Postby RZajcew » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 pm

I recently had to re-install all my MainLobby and MLServer stuff on a "fresh" Windows 10 Pro platform (not an upgrade from Windows 7). I do have MainLobby scenes and MLServer now working well. So it was time to get my Web Designer install up to snuff.

It's been a while since I did my last Designer install, and I am by no means an expert in Windows 10. However, I do seem to be running into file permissions issues. [And my userid does have administrative privileges]

The first symptom was that I could neither create a new project, or copy one of the pre-existing projects. I can hit the button, but nothing happens. I decided that this must be some sort of permissions issue, and I looked and it seems that pretty much all the directories are marked read-only. So what I did is that I modified the permissions of the HTML directory to no longer be read-only -- which supposedly modifies all the files and subdirectories for HTML. After I did this, I could both create projects and also copy projects. That should not have been necessary, of course. But it at least showed what the problem was.

However, if I go into a copied project (a copy of the sample iPhone 5 project) and try to edit one of the html files, I end up with "Save" operations not working. I can change the file on the screen, but if I try to save the file, there is an error message saying the file is read-only. And no permissions-wrangling on my part seems to be able to fix this.

As I said, this is all just a "plain" Designer installation -- I haven't attempted to move in any of my old work from backups yet.

I don't think this is just user error, but I could be wrong. Of course.

- Roman

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Designer on Windows 10 Pro

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:38 am

Change the file permissions on the MLServer folder and everything in it so that the local group "Users" have full control. Then you will not have any issues copying files. Even though you are an administrator Windows goes way out of the way to prevent anyone from writing to anything in the program files folders.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Designer on Windows 10 Pro

Postby RZajcew » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks. That wasn't spectacularly obvious. At least not to me. :-)

I guess this would argue for changing the installation of MLServer on Windows 10. Or possibly moving the HTML directory (and possibly the MainLobby Content directories) into the (hidden) ProgramData folder.

- Roman

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”